Germany


Advertisement
Published: July 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

For the next adventure, we stayed at an apartment in the picturesque village of Bernkastel-Kues. The village itself is on the Mosel River and seems to be a magnet for tourists and retirees. The first night, we wandered into the village and discovered a band playing in the centre town square. They were belting out english tunes and the crowd was really enjoying it, as we did.

The next day, we hit the road to go to one of the most well preserved castles in Germany - Eltz Castle. This is one of the few castles that was not destroyed since the various sections were built. It was beautiful and the hiking in the area was well marked and provided good exercise and views.

The path led us next to Trier. A great historical location, we were able to see the ruins of a Roman bath area (which is amazingly more elaborate than it sounds) and the homestead and museum of Karl Marx.

When leaving Bernkastle-Kues, we stopped at Landschut Castle ruin that overlook Bernkastle-Kues (although you can tell it was a grand castle in its day). In Rothenburg, we spent time with a Night Watchman. He explained the history of Rothenburg, the duties of the night watchman and provided lots of good information among good humour. That was a great conclusion to our time in Germany.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb