Brussles


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
February 10th 2013
Published: February 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

In a land known for chocolate and beer, Brussels surely did not disappoint!

French fries, chocolate, waffles and beer one could lead a very happy life, fat but happy! Cobble stone streets and a palace fit for a king, Brussels lets one be swept away with its beauty and history!

Arriving at 7am on a Saturday morning, one would think that there may be some people about opening coffee shops and baking waffles, waiting for the masses to ascend. This proved me wrong, these streets were dead, the only soles in the city were those of keen tourists getting early morning photos, braving the cold to do so.

The Grand Place, buildings adorned with gold trimmings, gothic style steeples and cobble stone square seemed the first point of interest for those visiting this city. With chocolate shops either side of the walk there it’s easy to get distracted. These building so beautifully constructed, provides tourists and locals alike with place of congregation to share coffee or take photos as a memory of a visit to a royal city.

Moving out of the centre of town and away from tempting smells of waffles, towards the Royal part of town, “The Cathedral” where the Belgium royals married was the next on the to visit list. This church a living memory of the past and present with its doors open to everyone, royals, believers and the tourists alike.

Parc de Bruxelles, covered in a light snow/frost seemed not to put off its loyal joggers who maintained their jogging paces amid the photographers. Walking through the park, with the trees bare to the elements, looking cold and bare but the sun glistening off the branches makes for a wonderful moment to sit back and enjoy the beauty that nature has to offer.

This park leads its self to the Royal Palace, where one can take the opportunity to take a tour of the old archaeological dig sight the old Palace dating back centuries, surviving fire and redevelopment. Old cobble street, a church and large dining hall can all still be made out preserved in history.

What better way to finish a day’s touring then heading out to one of the Latino night clubs, Mojitos, tequila, margaritas and salsa dancing long into the early houses of the morning!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb