Brussels


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
January 13th 2013
Published: April 25th 2013
Edit Blog Post

It was wonderful to see Bill, who we had travelled with in South America in 2012, at the exit gate at Brussels airport after having flown through from Vienna. He looked well and happy and so European in his long black woollen coat. We drove to he and wife Wendell's house in inner Brussells. Old friends reminiscing and planning. Wendell had to work for the three days that I had planned to be in Brussells, but Bill had graciously taken the time off work.

First things first. We had to stock their fridge and pantry. Apparently mundane acts like visiting a supermarket can be interesting in a different county. I was intrigued by fact that Belgians record their own grocery purchases with an electronic scanner - no check-out chicks - completely honesty based. You buy your mussels in 2kg vac-packed lots. Perfect lunch with a creme fraiche fortified stock. Aisle after aisle of local beers.

Over the days Bill and I (Catherine; Greg had returned to Oz by this time) wandered the streets of beautiful Brussells. Travelled to Gent and ate many a wondeful meal with Wendell. The Villers Abbey just outside Brussells was truly beautiful. The old ruins standing starkly against crystal clear blue, winters skies.

This was an excellent interlude before heading back to London for afternoon tea with daughter Elise, and before I too headed home to Australia. Brilliant trip in the UK and Europe OVER.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The memorial mound at WaterlooThe memorial mound at Waterloo
The memorial mound at Waterloo

Site of the famous battle against Napoleon.


Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb