"Museum" Day


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
June 10th 2011
Published: June 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

On Tuesday we finally set out to see a few museums. Since we have a 1 year old in tow, we figured fine art museums might not be the best bet. Instead, we opted for shorter, more entertaining museums. We started with the Chocolate Museum, where D had her first taste of chocolate (do not wear white while giving 1 year old chocolate chips). She, of course, loved it. The museum was interesting. They started by letting you taste the flowing chocolate from the fountain before watching a demonstration on making chocolate candies and sculptures. We found it quite interesting that many of the sculptures (like Snow White's dwarfs in the pictures) were made by pouring chocolate into Halloween masks. After the demonstration, we walked through the actual museum which traced the role of cocoa in many countries and had tastings of cocao from various countries. D appeared to favor Madagascar.

After the chocolate museum we still had time to kill before lunch so we went to the Brewer's museum. After growing up in Tampa and visiting Busch Gardens more times than we can count, we had a pretty good idea about how beer was made, but they had a very interesting movie about all the different kinds of beer made in Belgium. Clearly we still had many varieties to try before leaving.

For lunch we made our way to Publico, a restaurant suggested by our book for Belgian food. I had stoemp (a mash of various root vegetables and spices) with delicious sausages, while Pat had a Belgian style steak and frites. It was a lovely lunch. We also discovered that if D fell asleep in the carrier (which she did), I could successfully lay down on the bed, unstrap the carrier, and she would continue to sleep for the duration of her nap. Victory!

After nap time, we headed to the Horta musuem, the key figure of Belgium's art nouveau movement. The inside of the home was quite impressive, but you aren't allowed to take pictures inside (hate that!). The docent was very helpful in answering our questions and showed us pictures of the kitchen that is not currently open to the public (it'll be amazing when it is!).

We headed to bed early since we planned to visit Brugge the next day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



10th June 2011

Market Bling Bling
Why mince words really?
11th June 2011

Exactly.

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb