Beer & Chocolate!


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » Brussels-Capital Region » Brussels
September 8th 2010
Published: September 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Heading into Brussels and it is all about the chocolate and well… the peeing boy. Maybe one of the different must sees (if not the most) in a capital city. Not too sure what it is about Brussels but we came across several peeing objects during our time here, the girl squatting, and the dog with his leg cocked against a pole. I understand the boy (manneken pis) one as it is believed the boy was putting out a fire that was in the city but the others are quite funny to see and has been standing there since the 14th century.

Well to the chocolate, everything you could possibly imagine here. Big debate one who is the best.. Swiss or Belgium?? We are still undecided so will move onto other information which seems to be all about food in this country. French fries… come from Belgium (they claim it anyway) and you are sure to pass many the shop sating they have the best Belgium Fries in town. Now to the waffles, how can these simple things come in so many varieties.. They are decorated like a cake for a first year baby with things hanging of it, dripping sauces, and the icecream… oh the ice cream. Most of the time it can be hard to determine if actually there is a waffle underneath all the commotion on top.

Well moving onto the city.. Some people have told us that it is a fairly boring city and it is fine for us for them to say this as it has left this amazing 17th century city square and a sprawling city of centuries old buildings for the ones willing to visit. Once walking into the main square we were quite brought back by the sheer amazement of the buildings in a 360deg view around us. And it is not only the city square that these can be found. Further afield you will stumble across the Cathedral Des Sts Michel & Gudule where inside you will find a fantastic wood carving of Adam and Eve been chased by skeletons.

Other things to mention is that this city seems to have a fair amount of graffiti scattered around but this stuff is excellent! We found a large area in the South East that was covered with fantastic paintings all over the walls.

Well time is running out here to write more about this fantastic city.. It is well and truly worth the visit and if going go to the Use it tourist office instead of the normal one.. They have a fantastic map, free internet, free coffee, give great advice on cheap meals and also give away free train tickets to other cities (we scored Antwerp).



Additional photos below
Photos: 94, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb