University city with a party atmosphere


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Province of Utrecht » Utrecht
September 4th 2010
Published: August 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our final stop in the Netherlands was the university city of Utrecht located around 40 min south of Amsterdam. This is a large university city and we happened to turn up on a weekend when the sun was shining so it was extremly busy but with a great atmosphere. Also during our time in the city a large gothic festival was on as well so a wide range of people were scattered around the city.

The city is just like the other Dutch citied we have visited with canals, tall people, bikes and pretty old buildings everywhere you look. Utrecht seems to us a a party town as it is all we were seeing from the time we arrived to the time we left, maybe a cheaper alternative than Amsterdam as in 30 minutes we seen at least 5 hens nights walk past us whilst having a beer (we were sitting on the out skirts of the city) and the canals were filled with party boats. One boat that looked quite funny was the ‘silent party boat’ with 20 odd people dancing away with head phones on cruising along the canal.

Not much one the major tourist things to see here but what was recommended to us from several people (lonely planet also) was the aboriginal arts museum all the way in Utrecht. Did get a little surprise to see this museum in this city!

Well not much else to report on for this city but we beleive that this place will be great even in not only summer but winter as well. It has a great feel about the place and with Amsterdam so close a perfect spot to hit the books. But overall during our time we were mostly relaxing along a canal watching the day go past as we didn’t need to wait for long until another boat would sail past .. Although we spent quite a lot of time with our hosts who showed us around the city and went out for a couple of meals which was very nice.



Additional photos below
Photos: 36, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb