Magnificent Europe - Austria: VIENNA, DURNSTEIN, MELK, LINZ,


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
September 20th 2013
Published: September 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Austria - ViennaAustria - ViennaAustria - Vienna

The AmaLyra
September 19th - 20th: Vienna

September 21st: Saturday: Durnstein; Wachau; Melk:

September 22nd: Sunday Linz

September 19th: Thursday; We arrived in Vienna in the afternoon and had a tour along the Ringstrasse (ring road) to get a glimpse of Vienna’s grand and elegant architecture and St Stephen’s Cathedral. A walk through the city then aafternoon tea of Sacher Torte – a chocolate cake and coffee.

After dinner we were driven to the Arsenal Museum (hired by APT and opened for the night) where we were given a private concert.

Septtember 20th: Friday: Vienna: We went on a tour with a very good senior aged guide: We walked to the Imperial Crypt below the Capuchin Church and is intended for the members of the Austrian former Habsburg dynasty, who have been laid to rest in the crypt since 1633.

We then walked over to the Spanish Riding School to watch the Lipizzaner horses go through practice training. These horses are born pitch black and go grey then white as they age.

September 21st: Saturday: We are in Austria – docking at the small village of Durnstein we had a choice of walking into the town or going in by a small train – tractor pulled carriages, which I took then went through a small village and vineyards before stopping at the main square in Durnstein. We participated in some wine tasting then wandered through the cobble stone streets, viewing the remnants of the castle where Richard the Lionheart was held prisoner in1192/3; looked in on the cemetery and wandered back to the Amalyra.

Sailing on to Melk through the picturesque Wachau Valley and after docking we had an escorted tour through the Melk Abbey.

Entertainment: “La Strada” classical music.

September 22nd: Sunday: Today we arrived in Linz (Austria) for a Freedom of Choice which we chose to go to Cesky Krumlov in the Czech Republic.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Austria - ViennaAustria - Vienna
Austria - Vienna

The statue named the coathanger
Austria - ViennaAustria - Vienna
Austria - Vienna

Archeological dig at the castle
Austria - ViennaAustria - Vienna
Austria - Vienna

Franz Joseph


Tot: 0.401s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.0902s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb