Thiersee - Camping Weekend


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
July 24th 2007
Published: July 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

In BC when you drive for an hour you will find yourself, most likely, still in the same province, let alone country. In Germany, and most of Europe, this is clearly not the case.

Last Friday, after work, Alwin and I hopped into his car and drove just one hour (120km) south of Munich and the surrounding flat plains into the beginning of the glorious Alps in Austria. It reminded me of driving West of Calgary into the Rockies - minus the cowboys. It was amazing how quickly the landscapes changed. We stayed at a campsite at Tiersee in Kufstein (about halfway between Innsbruck and Salzburg).

The first night was quiet at the little lake side camp site, until about 2:30am when our neighbours and their trailor started rocking. A strange Hungarian type of Yoddling filled the air with song, sounds and laughter. The next morning the sleepy Swiss and Austrian campers complained enmass to the owners about the "Verrückte Zigeuner" The Gypsies. We werent too tired, and so we took a walk around the lake, had a swim, and then went to another lake nearby, for a picnic lunch and another swim. The weather all weekend was wonderful and the mountain lakes were inviting and welcoming. Later on in the evening, as the much more experienced campers started up their gas stoves, their grills, and pulled out their sets of plates, forks, knives, and gourmet camping cooking stuff - we lit up our little bunsen burner and cooked a package of "spinach and cheese pasta - ready in 10 minutes" It was salty, but tasty. The neighbours were more than generous with their extra food, and gave us some grilled tomatoes with feta and mozzarella, swiss sausages, etc. I think they felt sorry for us!

Anyway, it was just a fantastic weekend. On Sunday afternoon we drove back to Neufahrn and on Monday, well, I flew to Sweden. But thats another story.

Stay Tuned

Jenica


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

our little campsiteour little campsite
our little campsite

in austria, at least at this campsite, there isnt actually camp-sites perse, rather just a field and a few taps, you can put your tent, car, dog, trailor where ever you'd like.
Back in NeufarhnBack in Neufarhn
Back in Neufarhn

just in time for Oma's birthday!


27th August 2007

Tiersee
Just love the place,going there in septemer. Im going to Munich first to see my family and then off to the campground,my Brother has a camper there permanent.Off to the Oktoberfest

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb