Das Sudburgenland Day 3


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria
June 21st 2007
Published: June 21st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Outside St. Michael's Church in GrosspetersdorfOutside St. Michael's Church in GrosspetersdorfOutside St. Michael's Church in Grosspetersdorf

A very talkative older man took our picture and then gave us a tour of the church and a talk about the ethnic history of the region.
We decide this morning that we will skip Middle Burgenland - it is a region so hilly that it has no train service. We cycle in a pleasant warm morning through the valley to Oberwart, stopping in Grosspetersdorf. This is an ethnic Hungarian area of Burgenland. Oberwart is the last stop on the train line into Southern Burgenland which reaches the read from the neighboring province to the west. Thus to get to Northern Burgenland you have to detour around Middle Burgenland.

We had however another detour that day as they were doing track work north of Oberwart. We thus had to cycle further north along this line in order to reach the first station, Pinkafeld, served by rail. (the buses the rail company provided in place of the rail service would not take bicycles). We had planned to spend this, the hottest part of the day, on the train from Oberwart but although it was getting very hot again, the path was without traffic, peaceful through farm fields and flat and a tail wind made it quite pleasant and dreamy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Inside St. Michael's Inside St. Michael's
Inside St. Michael's

The town used to be called St. Michael's (after the church) but the town council thought there were too many towns by that name so instead renamed it Big Peters Village.
Stained Glass Stained Glass
Stained Glass

Our tour guide gives us a brochure about this controversial work of art.
Oberwart Oberwart
Oberwart

We cycle through Rotenturm an der Pinka and Unterwart before reaching Oberwart with its modern art scultures in the town picnic square.
An old Muehle An old Muehle
An old Muehle

An old mill en route to the train station.


Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 60; dbt: 0.1025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb