Innsbruck Weekend


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Tyrol » Innsbruck
July 16th 2012
Published: July 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

June 8 to 11

The Gasthof Halle was a very convenient, comfortable, friendly and clean hotel. It was one of the better hotels I had stayed in during the holiday. But who can turn down the offer of a friend's couch, even if it means rolling up the bed sheets every morning.

My friend Mirjam, whom I had met in Malaga, Spain some time ago, made me this irresistible offer. I was able to experience living in a compact centrally located apartment in Innsbruck a stone's throw away from the Old Town with the Hofburg (castle), the rail station and varied shopping opportunities from small family shops where one was served from behind a counter to glitzy malls.

Innsbruck is surrounded by snow capped mountains and lies along the banks of the River Inn.

The best thrill was the easy access to these mountains ... literally just start walking. We took the Kettenbahn and a Gondola up to Hafelekarspitze at 2334m.

Avoiding all temptations offered by numerous antique shops, dirndle dress shops, pattiseries and restaurants offering local delicacies the way was made to the Hofburg (http://www.hofburg-innsbruck.at.)

Keeping the Ferdinands, Leopolds, Marias and Elizabeths in their proper centuries ... 1350 – 1918... was made difficult especially since some of the monarchical couples in what became the Austro-Hungarian Empire managed to have at times seventeen progeny! Encountering rooms filled with pictures of all these heirs one was happy to reach the dining room where are displayed fabulous examples of china and cutlery. Although it must be mentioned that the majority of the sets made especially for the ruling houses are on display in Vienna.

Because the ceiling in the Giant Hall is lavishly decorated mirrors have been set up on the hardwood floor so as to make viewing less strenuous. Maria Theresa redecorated the Hofburg in the Baroque Style.

Visiting the place was a delight. Do the same at this site: http://www.hofburg-innsbruck.at

The first game of the Euro2012 Cup was watched at a beach bar and the evening continued in a tiny bar across the river which overflowed with weekend revellers late into the evening ...and it was within walking distance of the apartment so beer could be liberally imbibed.

After a late evening the next day was spent quietly, the only major activity being western style horseback riding lessons. Accompanying Mirjam and her friends I was not tempted to mount a steed! Speaking to the instructor it was learned that this 'ranch-farm' has bought numerous horses in America ... the horses fly, need to be quarantined and do not come cheap!

In the evening we took a bus up into the higher area of Innsbruck where pricey homes are situated. A typical Austrian chalet with flower boxes along balcony railings and at each window predicted a quaint interior from which emminated smells of delicious meals. We ate wonderful Wiener Schnitzel with potato salad; drank local beer and a liqueor whose name is forgotten although the taste lingers in my memory ... very smooth!

On Sunday the plan was to go up the mountain by 'Kettenbahn' and Gondola. The rail car climbed up and the clouds became more and more dense. Only brief glimpses of Innsbruck could be seen. At the end of the Gondola ride there was still a twenty minute climb thru a sprinkling of snow, to the 'summit'. It was a great pleasure eating salami and bread at this height. It wasn't Everest but it was 2334m up. After taking the gondola down to 2000m., the decent began. It was a long way down.

There was a search for a mountain dale,Hoetfinger Alm at 1487m. The search was long. Taking a 007 shortcut to avoid all the loops in the path we became lost and the search went up hill instead of down Finally we found the inn where authentic Austrian soup was offered. It was surrounded by huge brown wide-horned cows. The soup was delicious and the cows were far enough away so as not to pose a threat.

In three hours we arrived at the bus stop and we made our way back to the apartment for the film Avatar and Caipirinha (Traditional Brazilian drink) Things You'll Need

4 Limes quartered

1/2 Cup of Brown sugar (white can be used)

5 Ounces of cachaça (or more!)

Combine cut limes and sugar in pitcher and mash with a wooden spoon until the limejuice and the sugar start to dissolve.

Pour rum or Vodka to taste. Mix well and add crushed ice. ENJOY!

Next morning, even with the help of numerous glasses of Caipirinha, the muscle pain from the walk down the mountain could not be denied. But being ever the consciencious traveller the body was forced to carry on. The train left early for Salzburg and from there a bus took me to Hallein and Duerrnberg where a Saltmine has been open for visits by the public since 1836; buts that's a whole other story.

Returning to Innsbruck, provisions for a home cooked meal were bought at the tation grocery store. Spacious yellow cloth shopping bags were available and these make great souvenirs.

After a meal of curried chicken we went to the local cinema to meet friends and watch the movie, SnowWhite and the Huntsman.

Making new friends, eating fish in a local mall, getting a traditional Austrian felt jacket, buying silver buttons for a proposed cardigan, looking longingly at unaffordable sets of china, finding fantastic art-nouveau stained glass in the Zara Store,getting embroidered labels to sew on my backpack, enjoying gelato ices at an outdoor table, walking thru one of the most displeasing town squares ever, finding a chapel dedicated to St. George in the courtyard of the Town Hall, walking thru Franz Joseph's Arch, and appreciating the medieval structures remaining in the Old Town are events that made the visit to Innsbruck memorable.

Mirjam was the hostess with the mostess. I cannot thank her enough for making my visit a great success.

It had been a great weekend but on July 16th, with reluctance, I had to leave by early train, for Amsterdam.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb