Silvester!


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Styria » Graz
January 1st 2008
Published: January 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Just to make up for my total lack of photos yesterday, I'm going to see in the year by showing you how I saw in the new year - which was pretty darn awesomely!

I joined Tanya and her cousins for raclett yesterday evening, which is kind of like fondu with grilled things, before heading to a party at Tanya's cousin's boyfriend's parents' house (:S) for a football club which I'm assuming Mikhael plays for, but I wasn't really sure - needless to say we didn't know anyone there but it didn't stop us having a great time. Mikhael's parents' house is massive, and after paying five euros because we weren't members of the football club, we were given unfettered access to more alcohol than we could reasonably drink in an evening. On top of this there was a lot of singstar, table football, a brief proposal for strip poker before the complication of numbers and the presence of Mikhael's camera wielding dad drifting around prompted us to change the game to Mexican something or other, which I never fully got the hang of which is probably why I kept losing and having to drink, although it looked like the odds of having to drink were pretty high anyway.

Anyway, after all of the merrimant (and that very long sentence!) Tanya and I headed out into the city with intentions of climbing the schlossberg to watch the fireworks. It's probably a good thing that we didn't quite manage that and ended up on one of the bridges amongst crowds of people, as I doubt either of us would have been able to get up or down the schlossberg in our condition, especially with all of the ice around. So we watched the fireworks that were let off from seemingly everywhere, with no indication that they were at all organised - people were just letting them off at random. Putting aside my British (or is that Brown?) over cautiousness and paranoia it was absolutely incredible, with lots of shrieking and squealing as you never knew where the next firework was going to come from. I've never seen the new year in with so much style, as the fireworks exploded above the cathedral while it rung out the midnight bells.

Once the fireworks started to peter out (although I don't think they ever actually finished - they'd already started before it even got dark yesterday afternoon, and I swear I heard some today, too), we went to drink a Prosecco and toast the new year, and ended up chatting to a bunch of Swedish ice hockey players, here to visit two of their friends who are now playing for Austrian ice hockey teams. Needless to say this is probably the point where the evening gets fuzziest, as there was at least ten of them, all drunk as skunks, and being flash enough with their cash to buy us drinks and pay for taxis to a nearby club. They were from Stockholm, and freely admitted that they were brats. Totally spoiled idiots, but they were good fun. Somehow the evening ended with us all going back to their hotel, from which Tanya and I escaped at five o clock in the morning - turns out there comes a point where spoiled rich kids parading around with their shirts off and raiding the mini bar just to show off that they can afford it, and spraying champagne around the room like it's the cheap prosecco we'd been drinking earlier, ceases to be fun. Still we had an amazing night, as this morning's hangover was testimony too.

It's all about the mini adventures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



11th January 2008

wicked :)

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb