Mozart in Salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
July 2nd 2014
Published: July 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

It was raining today, pouring at times. It was a good day to visit the indoor museums.

We took the kids to Mozart’s birthplace. That seemed to be a good place to start. This is a small, 1 bedroom house. There are few original furnishings however, there is a collection of personal items.

After the birth house we went to the house Mozart grew up in. The house he grew up in has the audio tour, it is much larger and contains many items from Mozart’s personal contents. There are also letters to and from his sister, some original and original works of music.

Christabel was interested in seeing where some of the “Sound of Music” was filmed so we had to visit the Mirabel Gardens. Sidestepping mud puddles, dodging umbrellas, we found the sites of the movie. The gardens were still beautiful in the rain.

This was the night of the Dinner Concert we’d reserved. Christabel had chosen this event to celebrate her birthday. There are 2 different dinner-concerts; one up at the Fortress and then the one she chose at St Peters Skiff. The restaurant at St Peters is located in a cliff under the Fortress.

I’d chosen the better seats and ours were located right in front center. The dinner was elegant; 3 courses served between the music: 1- Riesling Cream soup with crayfish and clams, 2 Roast Beef with Polenta and a Port Wine Sauce, 3. Meringues with cream. http://www.mozart-dinner-konzert-salzburg.at/exklusiv-menue.html



The music was performed on original instruments with 2 singers. They performed 3 pieces of music; arias from Don Giovanni, The Marriage of Figaro and The Magic Flute. Dale and I expected that the music wouldn’t be so good as this was a very touristy event, but it was really good.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0572s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb