Salzburg, the Fortress


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
July 3rd 2014
Published: July 6th 2014
Edit Blog Post

As the weather was forecast to be sunny we’d planned to go up to the Fortress/castle today. Dale and I were there 3 years ago and thought that the kids would enjoy it. Bel and I took the Funicular up while Dale and Elias walked. The walk was very steep, in some places one must use the strips of wood laid into the ground as to not slide down the hill. It must have been very difficult to haul the stones and wood up in order to build the fortress. The Funicular is like a gondola which rides on rails and goes straight up the cliff.

At the top we found the museum. This is really a self-led tour of the fortress. We’d taken a tour before but couldn’t find it so we just did the self-led, which seems to have replaced the one we took. Many rooms are open and lots of items are on display, including kitchen items and torcher items. An Archbishop’s house is open, I’m not sure but it seems like this was the original house from maybe the 1100’s or so. It has original furniture and wall decorations of gold knobs on blue painted ceilings.
View from the Rear of the FortressView from the Rear of the FortressView from the Rear of the Fortress

View of the Austrian Alps


http://www.visit-salzburg.net/sights/hohensalzburg.htm

Bel was hungry so we stopped at the Terrace Café which overlooks the Austrian Alps. She had some soup, I had a coffee with Mozart liquor and Dale an Applestrudel.

After the Fortress we all walked down the path to old Salzburg together then went back to wait for Bekki. We took turns at the front door as the door required a key which she didn’t have.

After waiting until 9:30 pm we devised a new plan. Dale, Bel and I would go eat while Elias stood guard. We had her birthday dinner then walked back to the apt but there was no Bekki. Finally at 10pm she arrived. She’d gotten lost a couple of times then drove around the area for about 1 hour looking for our street. To make matters worse, they had not eaten since breakfast. Dale took the girls out while I gave Bekki some beer and leftovers and Elias’ take out dinner.



Everyone was safe and sound except now Sunny, who was on her way back to the US missed her flight to Denver which meant she would miss her connection. What Next…


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

A Birthday CelebrationA Birthday Celebration
A Birthday Celebration

We have celebrated her birthday in lots of places: Chaco Canyon, Mammoth Mountain, but this one is really good!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb