running ourselves ragged in salzburg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Salzburg
May 21st 2010
Published: May 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

ran ourselves to death yesterday.....since we only had the 2 day salzburg card..we wanted to get our moneys worth.....first up:

the catacombs.....a nice old graveyard still in use..along the side of the fortress hill ( the big hill mountain? in the center of the city with the fortress on top) they carved catacombs up into the rock.....empty now..and quite small...but it was nice..the walk up all the stairs thou..killer.....grizz was feeling really hungover from the beerhouse the previous night so from there we walked a bit around the city ther...giant church...nice fountains with giant statues......anyway..passed em upto do

the river boat tour....really nice...good seats....40 minutes....and at the end..the boat did this little automatic....dancing around deal...really fast spins in the water...set to waltz music..awesome

after that...we ran all the way across the city to do the stiegl brewery tour....it was kinda cheesey..but nice and the best part....at the end..6 free samples (small size..but not bad size at all!) of beer! i got lemaonaide beer, strawberry beer, and grapefruit beer samples....grizz got 3 different regular beer types...awesome! and at the end of that..2 free bottles of beer..with odd tops......like old pull off tabs kinda...but glass beer bottles.

from there we ran to see the fortress.....take a funicular up and see the rooms..kinda lame...not much....and we were late in the day so when we finally got to the princely chanbers..they were closing..so i ran from room to room taking video..to be watched slowed down later....hey we were there..and it was free with the card......we killed ourselves...but we got it in.

at the bottom of the fortress again we succumbed to tourist knick knack shops.....bought our moms a nice little thing....and a few more little..but nice things at the brewery house for us and some close friends (teddy and his mom) *hugs!!*

we even got ourselves a little something...i had relaly been thinking i should have gotten a patch in prague for my hat as planned...and from now on were doing that in places..its just too cool...so here..the old men wearing the leiderhosen outfits have these nice hats...with some pins on em.....got one for me of a boot (cuz were hiking) that says salzburg on it..for grizz..he got one with an edelwise (sp?) flower that says that on it....on our hats...gona fill up the hats with pins and patches of our travel destinations!
yay!!!!


so today...just dead......was going to do just one museum..but we were so dead...went to the funicuar ride way up to the top of the big mountains we can barely see in the distance..covered becuse of the rain clouds..ugh the rain just wont go away! we know the view is awesome...but ya cant see it....anyway it was the most expensive to do once the salzburg cards ran out so we did it.....it was still cool even thought the view wasnt there..we got some view on the way up..but not a complete one....oh well....were going to gimmelwald switzerland so that will make up for this.

back at the camping place..doing laundry....writing this...and have decided to do a bus tour..prepackage thing.....of the salt mines a little to the south..its a good deal as its cheaper than a bus ticket to that place....with the ticket for the salt mine..we have free access to a celtic living history place..we hope its not cheesy as we can rip it apart...but if the bus tour will let us see it too..itll be cool...and maybe we can learn a little more about some celt living..maybe some new stuff to bring back to our celt friends in the sca......i dunno..anything we can learn....
otherwise the salt mine is not to be missed....ancient celt bodies found there..(celt miners)..and a wooden slide down the shafts....monday here is a bank holiday....so we figure tour tomorrow.....rent bikes to tour around on our own sunday or monday...or both..rest up....let the feet heal....eat more great cheap grocery store food....and we will be good to go to munich next!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0608s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb