salt mine tour in bad durrnberg


Advertisement
Austria's flag
Europe » Austria » Salzburg » Bad Durrnberg
May 22nd 2010
Published: May 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

so we slept late....cuz we were totally tore down....so tired and sore..i slept pretty good tho..all the rain made some good white noise to sleep by....once we got things covered where they were leaking....need to seal the seams of the tent, even good tents can only take so much water...thank goodness for my ponco/tarp

We toured the salt mine of Hallein....althought its actually a little bit away in Bad Durrnberg....awesome fun..slide down some wooden slides they made to get from a high shaft to a lower one....fun....kinda cheesy boat ride across one of the man made salt lakes they now use to get out salt out of the rock instead of pick axing it...and got some awesome stuff..at the end of the tour..since our group consisted of 6 people...the tour guide lady gave us some substantial pieces of the salt rock..beautifu, rose and iron colors....and then we got tiny bottles of salt....commercial stuff..white but good....we also got from the gift shop pins for the hats.....postcards for the fam....a cheap swiss army knife..which we really needed..and of course post cards....While waiting for the bus we thumbed a ride with a family from Italy to a Luge ride about 1km away (uphill) (really uphill, its way up in the mountains awesome views of course) it's a little metal luge ride they have round here to make use of the slopes when ski season's over.....it was closed of course...long walk back down..missed the bus but we took the time to sew on our hat medals.

before the train to the salt mine..we shopped and got a sewing kit, a new hair brush (mine broke) and baggies....for the sewing kit and other things.......

after the mine we walked a bit to find a good place to eat..i wanted a hot meal..so we came to a local turkish place that made AMAZING pizzas....and big cheap glasses of stiegel beer! and we got to watch the football (soccor) game.....relaxing..back at the camp site...blogging....showering...writing postacards...getting ready for a day trip to hallstat tomorrow...

oh yeah...and it didnt rain today..in fact we got to see some awesome vistas!! just like in sound of music...beautiful..giant mountain to one side beckoning us to switzerland,,and our stop in gimmelwald..cant wait.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



22nd May 2010
salt mine 199

cheesy souveniers
it cost us 6 euro to buy this pic..but it was so fun we got it....look at the red numbers in the corner we hit 24 kph and that wasn't halfway down! Oh yeh, no brakes , no hand holds and no seat belts! Just your ass on a wooden rail!
24th May 2010

Grizz your worth your salt...lol
Glad to see y'all are just having so much fun. great pick Grizz looked hung over tho or was that sea sick? Can't wait to see the next set of picks.
24th May 2010

sea sick?
naw just tired probably.....

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.047s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb