Day 9 - Playa del Carmen


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 31st 2012
Published: February 1st 2012
Edit Blog Post

After roughly 10 hours from Las Vegas to Cancun (with a few hours stopover in between), we arrived and had transport waiting to take us to the hotel which was about an hour away. I'm glad we did organise the transfers because otherwise we'd have no idea what to do.

The drive out from the airport was interesting, the city is very poor and there isn't much to look at. As we got closer, the driver told us that basically the city is split into two sides, to the right is residential and quite poor, and then there is the beach on the left which is the tourist area.

We arrived at The Royal Playa Del Carmen and no upgrade this time but there was really no need for one, the room is great. We have a very big room, good views, nice spa and we were greeted with champagne and some wedding cake with a note saying congrats on the wedding.

The weather is usually very consistent by temperature, about 28 each day however we didn't see much sun this afternoon. Hopefully the sun is out tomorrow and we can base ourselves at the pool or on the beach which backs on to the resort.

We were surprised by how many older couples are here. I never knew this however there are no children allowed at this resort so that explains it a little however we were both expecting more couples around the same age as us.

Being an all inclusive resort, we set out to drink and eat our worth. When we arrived, we made a rule that the only drinks we are allowed to order had to be alcoholic. That was good in theory however after barely any sleep on the plane and some potent drinks, we hit the wall. We've been here for about 10 hours and already I think I've been drunk, hungover and drunk again!

There are a number of restaurants that we have access to so we tried out the Chinese one tonight, it was very nice. It's now about midnight and I'm thinking about ordering some room service, all of which is free!

We don't have any major plans for the week as you can basically stay within your resort at all times and have plenty to do. We will head out to look at 6th avenue which is the main tourist street and see what is out there. Apart from that it will be beach, bar, buffet, bar, bar, bar... This is our last leg of warm weather and after this it will be flat chat again for the rest of the trip so we'll be making the most of the relaxed time here.

Won't be much to write about over the next few days but will touch in each day with any funny stories like the one today of the middle aged lady who by 3pm today was legless, it's always funny when it is someone else! On a side note, I caused a little stir after boarding our plane at Atlanta when I had a bad bloody nose. We had no tissues and it went everywhere, not sure what caused it but it happened again when we got to the hotel, hopefully that is the end of it.

Hope everyone is well at home, we miss you all. Also a quick message to my little mate Brodie who is off to school for the first time tomorrow! You will have heaps of fun and make sure Lily looks after you. Sal make sure you take some photos.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb