Cruising in the Caribbean


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
January 20th 2011
Published: March 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post



Are we cruise material? We are about to find out.
We have taken a late booking, with a fantastic discount, for a 14 day cruise in the Caribbean.

We belong to the Grey Pound Brigade and we have decided at short notice to skip the worst of the Scottish winter.
Instead we are heading for the cruise ship Thomson Dream taking in Mexico, Honduras and Cuba.

The cruise ticks a crucial box: a direct flight from Glasgow to Jamaica. We are packed and ready for off....in view of the atrocious weather we took the precaution of checking in Glasgow airport hotel the night before.

Just as well. We wake to find sub-zero temperatures and freezing fog.
No matter it is a short stroll from the hotel to the international departure lounge.

On board the aircraft there is a delay. The outside temperature is -6c and the Captain says he has to de-ice the wings first. This could take half an hour.
We are given a free drink. It is hot inside the aircraft . People begin to look uncomfortable. Several turn bright red. There is an announcement that they can't turn the air-conditioning on until we have left the ground.

I am glad I took the precaution of wearing layers . It is time to start peeling them off.

One hour later we leave behind Scottish soil and head for the sunshine of the Caribbean.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.08s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb