Hola Amigos - Mexico


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Buenos Tardes Amigos (and Amigas),

We are in hot hot hot Mexico and loving every second. After leaving Miami we flew to Cancun, home of drunk Americans on Spring Break but more importantly the rebirth of our haggling skills and looking for the cheapest accommodation.

We only spent one night in Cancun because basically there´s not a lot going on if you´re away from the massively out of our budget type hotels. Isla Mujeres on the other hand was just right for us. As well as meaning ´the island of women´it is also the inspriation behind Madonna´s song ´La Isla Bonita´ (Specially for you Chris the elder - dancing around the kitchen). The island itself has sadly been hugely overdeveloped, but nothing can detract from it having the most amazing turquoise blue sea and white sandy beaches. As if that wasn´t enough to make us happy, all the restaurants entice you in with a free Mojito with every meal.....yay! Just what Chris needed after pouring some deadly spicy oil over his pizza! (the waiter did warn him). After a couple of days chilling out we decided to get moving as we´ve got a lot of places to visit and only a few months left of our honeymoon, can you believe it..... poor us.

On our way to the ancient Mayan city of Chichen Itza we stopped at a nice little town called Vallodolid. The town square is beautiful with those cool little love seats where we got so snog in public like all the horny Mexicans 😊 We also managed to find a lovely Italian restaurant with dishes for under 2 quid......! Romantic and cheap....awesome! The buses here put England to shame. A second class bus going for 5 hours cost us about 3 pounds each and had reclining well comfy seats and air con, thankfully as it´s so hot here we´re melting.

Chichen Itza (or Chicken Pizza) was stunning to walk around and learn about the ancient Mayan civilization. Some of the buildings are quite awe-inspiring. Our next stop was Merida, another city with a beautiful main square and apparently the most Mexican town in the Yucatan Penninsular. A splendid day here ended with a romantic walk and a chocolate fondue with strawberries in a quaint little cafe ...yum. Actually we´ve done really well so far for food. Quesidillas for breakfast and tacos galore, not to forget the Super Tortas in Mexico City yesterday. Chorizo, chicken, avocado and cheese....mmmmm, only a quid and big enough to feed both of us.

Anyway, from Merida we changed our plans a bit when we found a really cheap flight to the capital city leaving 16 hours later. So that´s what we did. As capital cities go this is pretty awesome. Beautiful parks lined with street stalls (Chris bought me candyfloss 😊 ) and a main square with the worlds biggest flag were just a couple of the highlights. The best thing though was the temperature dropped by about 10 degrees and it wasn´t humid so we could actually walk around during the day without melting.

This bit is well exciting...after a nice 1st class coach ride we are going Loco...yep you´ve guessed it....we´re in Acapulco. We haven´t quite gone loco just yet coz we haven´t stayed too long...ha ha and we´re leaving tonight at 11pm! (an 8 hour journey along the coast). Last night was one of our favourite nights so far this time around. We ended up in a bar called El Galeon as they were serving 4 x beers in a bucket of ice for under 2 quid! We are still not drinking too much (apart from the Mojitos of course) so were both a bit tipsy and ended up dancing in the street as we left just as Paul Young came on (Everytime you go away).....oh how the Mexicans love the crazy English people. Brilliant night 😊

So, it´s nearly time for us to collect our massive backpacks and head for the overnight bus.

Hope you´re all well and missing us loads. We would love to hear from all of you. It´s nice to know what everyone is getting up to.

Love Em and Chris xx



Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0322s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb