Palenque


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
October 26th 2005
Published: October 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We arrived yesterday in Palenque and it was a nice surprise when we got of the bus to see that Palenque is much warmer than San Cristóbal. When we got off after a 5hrs bus ride we were confronted by the hot and humid rainforest climate.

We started looking for a place to stay and finally found one..with a fan😊 We decided not to pay double price for air con, thought the fan would be enough. Me and Mette slept well that night, but Anna had to get up to turn off the fan that was on max..Only to notice that it was either max or nothing at all.. The last option meant that she felt like she couldn´t breathe, so she turned it on again.. When Mette woke up she said it was raining heavily outside, but there she was wrong..it was only the fan...again.

Today we have visited the ruins of Palenque. It was extremly interesting and we got the most out of it as we found a local guide to tell us more about the way the Mayas used to live in Palenque until AD 900 when the city was abandoned. Mette decided to buy the Popol Vuh in Guatemala where we think that everything will be cheaper.

We are a bit annoyed with the difficulties of getting information about how to cross the border to Guatemala. Everyone wants to sell us tours directly to Flores, but luckily today we found some public transport to take us to Corozal where we have to negotiate about the prices of the lanchas (boats) to cross the river. Here in Palenque everything seems to be negotiable, they even seem to have their own way of counting. We guess that´s something we have to get used to in the other countries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



27th October 2005

Hola!!
Hej flickor!! Kul att läsa om era äventyr där i världen, speciellt när man sitter här lite grön i fejset (av avund) o har tråkigt på jobbet! Här hemma har det snöat igår, ingen snö i stan, men på flygfältet e det full vinter! Det e så att man vill tända ljus o sjunga Luciasången o äta pepparkakor! ;) Njut av resan!! Kramar Ilona

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0597s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb