Caribbean Cruise


Advertisement
Central America Caribbean
December 10th 2017
Published: January 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

When I started this blog well over a decade ago it was to record my solitary solo adventures across the globe. As is not unusual in more recent years the focus has been my personal life, career and my flat, not to mention getting to know the outdoors a whole lot better. In the early summer during a Loch of Grandtully (Griffin forest by Aberfeldy) Sarah and I got engaged so it's fair to say this is no longer a solo travel blog. By reviewing a cruise it seems like I have left the wild travel days behind but we just fancied booking something that was something we never felt we would do and frankly it's not compulsory that every trip should be educational or be undertaken with a heavy pack on, not every one.

After a weekend of mad packing the Monday was spent getting down to Manchester Airport and a night in the efficient bed factory the Clayton Hotel. Then after a bit of trouble as TUI sorted out a replacement plane we were flying to Montego Bay. Whisked though to our buses with basic checks which kind of shocked me compared to say bargaining my way over forested borders in Cambodia and soon on a bus playing Bob Marley concerts on loop. Then with a bit of admin soon in our cosy low decks but port holed cabin on the Marella Discovery 2, more than 20 years old but much nicer somehow than the mega ships, an actual ship rather than a hotel block with a hull. Found the whole eat and drink as much as you like a bit strange at first but soon got into the swing of it. Our tactic of no lifts and constant stairs and power walks around the running track on deck meant we 'leveled out' and never put on weight despite the calories.

First stop was Grand Cayman, again avoided the mainstream and 'extra' trips and just found a quiet beach and chilled there. Highlight of the day was seeing a random chicken crossing a car park. Then it was a day at sea with highlights being crazy golf tournaments, afternoon ice cream and er 'dress to impress' night. I was semi dapper in my £40 blue jacket from Sainsburys which matched a nice chap opposite who was proud his similar jacket was £50 from Debenhams.

Next day it was Cuba, we embarked from Havana for big trip out to Rio Vanles to see cigars being made and purchase a pack. All a bit too touristy small talk for our liking but kind of a giggle as well especially listening to other cruisers claim they were just slumming it with TUI and usually prefer Cunard or similar (yeah right). Revenge was had when the bus was late back for the bingo😊. Next morning we explored Havana a little on foot but got a bit lost when trying to find a morning market perhaps exploring the real world off a cosy cruise environment just doesn't work.

Onto Mexio and a day trip to see the Playa Ruinas de Tulum, interesting ruins and superb beach where lizards jumped onto our picnic and a pleasing feel that all the locals were there for a Sunday day out. Again didn't 'fit in' with the cruise ship bus tour thing especially when one lady ticked us off for sitting in her seat but I guess it's the nature of the beast. Enjoyed one more admittedly Pimms fueled day at sea then back to Monetgo bay, a day on beach there then a first flight on a 787 Dreamliner home but my god could of done without the runway delays.

Horrendus jetlag and hours awaiting train at Manchester but got back in super cold Edinburgh but made it to sleep it all off and walk off the excess wrapped up on East Lothian beaches. Cruising as a holiday, we don't regret giving it a go but reckon it will be at least a decade maybe more before we'd give it another go.


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb