Bruges break


Advertisement
Belgium's flag
Europe » Belgium » West Flanders » Bruges
December 1st 2016
Published: January 20th 2021
Edit Blog Post

When I told some clever so and so that we had booked a late November few days in Bruges I was told it would be horrible weather in that way some people just love to put your plans down.

Sometimes though people can get it badly wrong, the whole time we were there the weather was just perfect, sub zero temperatures but full sun all the time during the day and the crispest of nights. This helped us have a dream of a trip in part in spired by the excellent if slightly violent 'In Bruges' movie.

We flew Brussels air Edinburgh to Brussells and really enjoyed the chuntering train that took us a tour of Brussells before surging onto Bruges. Our ethos for the trip was to have the best time we could on a budget so we went for the Ibis budget by the train station and bypass. The shower was in the bedroom which was a bit weird but perfect for our 'out all the time' needs. We loved walking through the park to the old town where the understated (all the better for it) Christmas market provided us with fairly priced Glauiwein (take note Edinburgh you charge far too much).

As always we found the best cafes well back from the main square and rather than do any of the museums and boat rides just really enjoyed lots and lots of strolling round though we did make a trip up the Belfry tower, frankly I was very nervous of the vertigo inducing slight sway in the wind and windows by the narrow stairs but Sarah was up for it so after some dawdling I forged on up to the top.

All in all we had a little winter break like no other and found it super rewarding doing things on a 'might be buying a house together soon' type budget. Finding the best places to eat and the best walks was just by chatting to local cafe owners which on this occasion worked so well.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

BrugesBruges
Bruges

Our jackets are not matching, they are complimentary.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb