What are bitters?


Advertisement
Published: November 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Just a quick note to clarify an earlier blog. We talked about our trip to learn about Angostura Bitters, but due to a very astute blog follower we realized that we never told what it was!! This is what happens when you become familiar with something - you forget that others may not know. In learning the history about this product we found that it was first developed by a German doctor as a medication for stomach troubles. Soon after its development some people found that they actually enjoyed the taste of bitters. It then started to be marketed for use as a flavoring for many dishes. The most commonly known use is by bartenders in adding it to punches and other alcoholic drinks. It is also known to be used as a flavoring in cakes, puddings, stews and pretty much anything that you want to add flavoring to. They even just started producing one that has an orange flavor. If interested you can find many recipes on line that use bitters.

As stated, the recipe for this product is a well-kept secret, but as in many medicines one of the main ingredients is from plants. The finished product surprisingly is known to contain 47% alcohol. Even with this percentage it is not sold as an alcoholic beverage and can be found sold in grocery stores.

We mentioned to Jesse that anyone we knew that had a bottle of angostura bitters only needed one in a lifetime so wondered how they could stay in business. That is when Jesse explained that the flavoring can be used in anything, not just rum drinks. Guess we will have to start to experiment!

Hope this helps answer the question of what bitters is - sorry we forgot to explain it before.

Advertisement



9th November 2011

sorry
Bob and Janice, I have so enjoyed reading your regular accounts. And as a historian see so much value in what you are commenting on. (Never mind what a science teacher, English teacher, whatever - might also gain.) As a result I am sending your website address to several folks I deal with on a regular basis. Perhaps you all will end up with an "eastern shore" connection that wants to visit with you when you come back into "our area." Keep up the great logs/blogs/whatever they are called. Techno Terrorist, John

Tot: 0.553s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 29; qc: 121; dbt: 0.2218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb