Another Blog Spot


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

Time for another blog spot. There are those whom have been badgering me for some time now to post more of my travels. Now that my last wave of papers and presentations has past, I have the time. I do study and work while I’m down here, but do you really want me to talk about that? And so I will start with Easter. Carlos, Abbie and I went down to the Wild Foul Trust to stay with my roommate,... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The 'Booms'The 'Booms'
The 'Booms'

The bass notes were played with these large pieces of bamboo, all but one of the joints get knocked out. Sounds pretty cool. Often, a stick would be hit against the side of it for some variation.
Modern Day BandsModern Day Bands
Modern Day Bands

Tamboo and Brass and String fused in playing Carnival mas. The mixing of sounds spurred further development and experimentation with new instruments. Some of the smaller pieces of bamboo are called the foule and chandler.
Turtle WatchingTurtle Watching
Turtle Watching

Almost forgot about this, we went to see the giant leatherback sea turtles lay eggs. They're super cool up close, I got to hold this little guy.
FOOD!FOOD!
FOOD!

Probably the best meal I've had down here so far. Starting with the beans (bottom) going clockwise: baked beans with spices, amazing, Creole lasagna, real good, hadn't had beef for a while, above that, fried chicken with a nice sweet white sauce, potato salad, though not as good as my mom's, this was tasty, underneath the green stuff, a mild non-greasy fried rice, which went wonderfully well with the calaloo, one of my favorite foods I've had down here. Mishmash of everything, hopefully I can make it at home. And I cant forget the juice, amazing, absolutely amazing, fresh oranges, grapefruit and pineapple. Indescribable.
Sceaming Bloody MurderSceaming Bloody Murder
Sceaming Bloody Murder

At first I thought it was a bunch of kids playing next door, but then it just sounded nasty...oh yeah, that's what pigs sound like. Here's the piglets, brings back fond memories of last semester with the analysis of swine production on excel...
The CrewThe Crew
The Crew

From Right: Lennon, Shivana and Kezia (UWI to UW exchange students), Isaiah, me and Lauren (UW to UWI students), Gayatri (another UWI to UW gal), Kezia's mom, Mary, and a friend of Kezi's in d back.
Butterfly and OrangeButterfly and Orange
Butterfly and Orange

This little guy had one hell of a proboscis, and he was going to town on this orange opened up by a bird.
Green Oranges?Green Oranges?
Green Oranges?

Most of the oranges down here are ripe when they're green or yellow, few actually turn orange. I believe this variety is a hybrid of portuagals and some type of orange...
Chatigne Chatigne
Chatigne

These weren't ripe yet, but when they are you can use the seed to make...something. Soup, maybe.
SunsetSunset
Sunset

Nice clear blue skys outside the city. It's weird...nowhere seems all that developed, but there's enough air and light pollution that it's pretty hard to see the stars on campus. Not out here, it was amazing out turtle watch...side note.
Sugar Cane Anyone?Sugar Cane Anyone?
Sugar Cane Anyone?

Suck some fresh sugar cane, it be real good. First it has to be burnt, then to process it quick for eating, just peel the outside off and chew away. Pretty good, real sweet, good flavor-not what you'd expect of a dark vine looking thing.
Bunch of PhotogsBunch of Photogs
Bunch of Photogs

We all had out camera's, some of us two...this second round or photos is from Carlos' library.
Albino PeacockAlbino Peacock
Albino Peacock

Not that they're native to T&T, but it is beautiful.
Blue and Gold MacowBlue and Gold Macow
Blue and Gold Macow

They have a few pairs at the trust, they mate for life and Isaiah claims they eat better than he did all semester. That's more on his lack of being able to feed himself properly though.
Rainbow PythonRainbow Python
Rainbow Python

Trinis are a bit squeamish around snakes, I was all for hold the guy.
Crahsin' the PoolCrahsin' the Pool
Crahsin' the Pool

Mitch liked rough waters.
Red LightsRed Lights
Red Lights

Apparently the turtles cannot see red very well, so we had to hold off with pictures until they began to lay...they enter a trance like state and don't care that anyone is around them.
And the Laying BeginsAnd the Laying Begins
And the Laying Begins

Along with flash photography...
This was a smaller one...This was a smaller one...
This was a smaller one...

The biggest found was over 1000 lbs, but what we saw were more on the 300-400 lb size of things.



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb