Speyside Dive day


Advertisement
Published: June 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

An early breakfast was required as we had an early pick up from the dive centre.

The boss arrived in his pickup truck and headed to the centre, the driver chatted away. He asked Wayne if he liked driving, and if he could drive. The next thing we knew he had pulled over and given Wayne the keys telling us to take ourselves to the centre as he lived just here and it would save him the need for a taxi. Fortunately Wayne was happy to drive, when we arrived the girl at the centre was a bit surprised that we had come ourselves, but it is the Caribbean so anything goes!

We sorted our kit out and loaded the van. I squeezed into the back with 2 other divers and Wayne and the dive guide took the front. We headed off on the long drive to Speyside. We arrived and somehow I ended up with a bag of mangos, apparently ‘Whatever’ means ‘I’ll take them’!!! The boat arrived, it was tiny. We loaded up and headed out to the reef.

The sea was fairly calm until we came to the reef area where there was a bit of a chop. The first dive we did Bookends was between two rocks, there was a lot of current and swell. The colours here were much brighter than the other side of the island.

Our second dive Japanise Gardens was less rough and less of a swell although there was still current. We saw lots of small things, and I saw a nurse shark (Wayne was being swept away in the current so missed it!).

They were two good dives and after unloading the boat we headed back to Crown Point stopping at a view point to eat our sandwich lunch.

When we got back to the resort we put our kit out to dry and unpacked, rested briefly before heading to afternoon tea. We arrived at 4.40pm (20 mins before it finished) to find no sandwiches left and only a bit of Madera cake. We ate some cake as we were sooo hungry, and had a drink. Annoyed by lack of sandwiches we went back to our room for a much needed snooze.

We woke up, still hungry and headed to dinner, it looked poo. The same stuff AGAIN! Wayne said sod it we’re going out, which was a relief. So we headed to the taxi area grabbed a cab and told the driver to take us somewhere nice for dinner.

We headed out towards the airport, and pulled up at what looked like a shed. Wayne looked distinctly unimpressed. I was to hungry to care! We went to the door and a lovely lady opened it and let us in. The room was huge, and cool, the air conditioning a great improvement on the resort restaurant. We had a fantastic Carribean meal - 3 courses. It was the best meal we had had for ages. The service was great and the taxi arrived just as we had paid the bill.

When we got back to the resort and after a beer as we walked back to our room guess what we saw?


A LEATHERBACK TURTLE nesting on the beach! It was amazing. We watched for 2 hours as it dug, laid eggs and covered them. The perfect end to a fantastic evening.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

CrabCrab
Crab

No sauce on this one!


Tot: 0.354s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 90; dbt: 0.1127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb