Buccoo Reef


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Buccoo ReefBuccoo ReefBuccoo Reef

Just one part of the lovely reef we snorkeled - what great weather, what a pleasure to be alive!
Blogger Bec

What a wonderful day - the complete stereotypical Caribbean experience!

We started early in the day with a glass bottomed boat out to Buccoo Reef - the 2nd biggest in the western hemisphere.

The reef has been protected for almost 30 years so it is doing well, with a large range of life and coral. The highlight was a school of cuttlefish, baby ones included. They have a really unusual way of swimming in a perfect horizontal line which struck me. Maybe it's for protection? I would've thought it was more unsafe that way - divide and conquer!!

Our snorkelling gear was worth the money - no mask leakages, no blisters from ill fitting fins!

I've never been on a glass bottomed boat before - didn't know what to expect. In the end, it was only 3 glass panels in the middle of the boat but it was still an awesome experience to see the life float by underneath us!

After we left the reef proper, we came to Nylon Pool - named because the locals thought the colour of the water looked like nylon.... not sure, but we'll go
The beachThe beachThe beach

Just one of the magnificent Tobagoian beaches we passed during our trip.
with it!

The urban myth surrounding Nylon Pool is that it makes women over 40 look ten years younger after a quick swim - shame it didn't work on us all!! The huge pool was about 100m square, no deeper than 1m. It was blissful, warm, calm and just perfect for lazing around.

We met a lovely couple from Australia, Sydneysiders, a teacher and doctor here enroute to a medical conference in Puerto Rico. We of course, gave them Raph's card so they could go and experience the awesomeness of the bio bay!!

We left Nylon Pool and headed to a deserted beach for a rum party and bbq. The rum was 75% proof!! I had one glass and was toast! It was delicious though...

We lolled around in the amazing waters, snorkelling and watching the visiting rays in awe.

Yummy fish for lunch and then a quick put put back in the boat to shore.

And NOT ONE BIT of sunburn!! i am so stoked with myself!!

We were going to head over to Buccoo village for Sunday School (a big street party held every Sunday night - certainly NOT church based!!)
Pigeon PointPigeon PointPigeon Point

The most popular beaches in Crown Point, this beach has a fee to enter but that stops the hawkers from harassing you.
but we were so tired after our big day in the sun that we piked. Dougo read up on the dive manual, ready for his first day of his Open Water Course!

He's currently learning to dive whilst I do my litany of jobs here on the net - download photos, update the blog, reissue plane tickets, chase up Fed Ex packages, get a new passport, apply for Victorian teaching credit, create a play room for an orphanage ( I PROMISE it's getting done, Joel/Carla/Greg!!), send out wedding invites, and follow the cricket...

Tough job but someone has to do it!!

Til next time,
Bec




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The glass viewThe glass view
The glass view

Our slightly tinted and water logged view from the glass bottomed boat.
Does he look younger?Does he look younger?
Does he look younger?

Dougo relaxing and rejuvenating in the Nylon Pool. Does it get better than this?!
Rum punchRum punch
Rum punch

75% proof makes a girl ponder...
Store Bay beachStore Bay beach
Store Bay beach

This is our "local" beach, about a 3 minute walk from our apartment. It's gorgeous but I feel intimidated going by myself as lone women get a lot of unwanted attention.


3rd April 2007

Enjoy the fun story lines of your travels. Look forward to hearing of your wedding plans.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb