PSV & PM


Advertisement
Published: December 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

SunsetSunsetSunset

All sunsets in the Caribbean are beautiful- but this one was spectacualr! It took our breath away.
Our next stop was an anchorage in between Petite Saint Vincent and Petite Martinique, two islands that are only a half mile apart. What's really unique about this anchorage is that you are between two countries, literally in international waters. For Petite Saint Vincent is part of the Grenadines and Petite Martinique is part of Grenada. How these two neighboring islands were divided into two separate countries is a mystery to us. But the good news is that we can visit both without the hassle of checking in and out of customs and immigration of each country. Which was great news because we had a fabulous time visiting both PM and PSV.

Our first day there we decided to visit Petite Martinique, so took our dinghy over and explored town. What we really like about Petite Martinique was that it had a very local feel to it. In fact, it is not touristy at all. The locals live their lives as they always have; kids are dressed in their school uniforms and are playing in the street between lessons, the fishermen go out to catch lobster and have to help each other pull their boats up on the beach at
Lobster!Lobster!Lobster!

Jay holding the catch of the day- nothing like a fresh lobster dinner aboard the Rum Runner.
the end of the day, and during their leisure time you can often spot a group of men playing dominoes under the shade of a bougainvillea tree. There are no glitzy resorts and only a few restaurants, serving local food in a relaxed atmosphere. We stopped for lunch at the Palm Beach Bar and enjoyed a delicious meal of cracked conch and jerk chicken with breadfruit, pumpkin, and plantains- yum! The setting was perfect, we sat amongst a garden shaded by palm trees right on the beach overlooking the anchorage and Petite Saint Vincent in the distance. Afterwards we meandered thru town and had a very pleasant day in Petite Martinique, it was just so nice to get away from all the vacationers and talk to the locals, who were incredibly friendly and laid back.

That night we had one of the most amazing sunsets we have ever seen. Just about every sunset in the Caribbean is beautiful, but this one takes the cake. The entire sky changed from pink to orange to finally a dark cobalt blue- it lasted for close to an hour. We sat in the cockpit and enjoyed it all, sipping a Rum Runner cocktail.
Petite MartiniquePetite MartiniquePetite Martinique

Enjoying lunch in PM, overlooking PSV.
Meanwhile, hundreds of little fry fish were jumping out of the water to escape from the yellow tailed snappers that were chasing them around the anchorage. It provided much entertainment for us and Kona- who goes crazy if you even mention the word “Fish!” That night we had some fresh lobster for dinner that Jay had caught, with a 50 EC bill from one of the local fisherman, and it was delicious. We ate dinner at the cockpit table and stayed outside past midnight, listening to Reggae music and just watching the millions of stars come out. What a perfect night.

The next day we woke up refreshed and ready to go explore Petite Saint Vincent. Now Petite Saint Vincent is completely different from its neighbor Petite Martinique in that it is a private island owned by a very swanky resort. Of course yachies are allowed to come to shore, to walk the beach and snorkel the reefs, to visit the boutique, and to have a drink at the bar or a bite to eat at the restaurant. So we took the dinghy over to do just that. Now we have seen several resorts in the Grenadines, but this
LocalLocalLocal

PM definitely has a very local feel to it. We enjoyed watching the men pull their fishing boat onto the beach.
one was our favorite. It is very classy, without being over pretentious. All the buildings are made from stone and wood and are set in a way to accentuate the pristine beauty of the island, not overtake it. The bar and restaurant are on the top of the hill, open to the breeze with a breathtaking view. We stopped in for a couple of paw paw daiquiris and had an amazing time. But my favorite part of the island are the resident dogs, five golden labs that serve as the greeting committee for Petite Saint Vincent. They are incredibly friendly and come over for an occasional pet or scratch behind the ear. But they spend most of their time sleeping in the sand- Lucky Dogs!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

ViewView
View

The view from PSV, overlooking the anchorage below- a wondeful place to stop and have a couple of daiquiris.
BarBar
Bar

Jay getting drinks from the bartender up at the PSV Resort- very shwanky!
DogsDogs
Dogs

This place has gone to the dogs!


29th December 2008

Sunsets
Hi, Just saw a beautiful in sunset in San Francisco at low tide yesterday.Hard to compete with the Caribbean.Toast in the New Year in Paradise!
29th December 2008

NIce Log
Your sunset is much better than ours- which is liquid rain. We just melted off the white xmass - had snow on the ground for 2 weeks !

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.043s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0282s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb