Mopion


Advertisement
Published: December 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

MopionMopionMopion

Just a sand bar out in the middle of the Caribbean, surrounded by reefs and crystal clear waters.
Mopion isn't even an island, more of a sandbar out in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. But it has a nice little beach, great snorkeling all around, and a tiki hut for some shade. So we definitely wanted to go there, at least for the day. In fact it is a day anchorage only, the holding is poor and there is no protection from the wind or waves. It really is attainable only in good weather, just a cool place for a quick stop while sailing between the islands in the Southern Grenadines. So we decided to head that way. The weather was glorious, sunny with light trade winds and no squalls- absolutely perfect! So we set sail for Mopion.

We had to work our way between 2 sandbars to reach Mopion and then attempted to anchor. It was almost impossible to get our anchor set, we had to try several times (which was very frustrating). But we finally got it to hook, at least a little, and decided to put out all of our chain as a precaution. Then we grabbed the snorkel gear, jumped in the dinghy, and were off. We had a fabulous time! The water
Deserted Island ParadiseDeserted Island ParadiseDeserted Island Paradise

Have you ever felt like you are deserted on an island just like in the cartoons?
around Mopion is so crystal clear and filled with tons of little fish. We snorkeled around the reef a bit then decided to get out and rest on the beach. We enjoyed the afternoon, sitting in the shade of the tiki hut. And the views were just amazing- no matter which way you looked. It is just like the cartoon drawings, where you are stranded on a deserted island with only one palm tree for shade (although in this case it is a tiki hut instead of a palm tree). It truly is just a small slice of island paradise. We had a great day, but the sun started getting lower in the sky and we knew we had to leave to find a protected anchorage for the night. So we packed up and left Mopion. What a wonderful day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

ViewView
View

The view from under the tiki hut on Mopion- so beautiful!
JayJay
Jay

Chill-axing under the tiki hut- what a perfect day in the Caribbean.


Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb