Our Panama Canal Cruise - Travelling to San Juan, 1992 March 12 – 16


Advertisement
Published: April 6th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Relaxing after long flightsRelaxing after long flightsRelaxing after long flights

Condado Plaza Hotel, San Juan 1992 March 15
Before Panama was open to land tours, my father and I took a cruise through the Panama Canal. As an engineer, he was fascinated by its construction. He read and urged me to read The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 . Without this historical guide, looking at the water and buildings would have had little meaning.

The Canal passage takes only one day; we agreed to spend some time in San Juan , Puerto Rico to extend our holiday. My father was the one to take notes, and his laconic voice focused on the practical details. Without digital cameras, my picture taking had not yet blossomed; nevertheless, together we preserved our memories. This post relates his arrival in Calgary and our time in San Juan.

Thursday March 12

Left Sidney at 1:00 PM on Canadian Airlines Flight 624 nonstop to Calgary. A snack was served, which included wine. Not the best of wine but acceptable. We were offered a second serving of wine, but I had to request the second cup of coffee.



Friday March 13

Friday morning, I went looking for a pair of white slip-on shoes. Found
Closed Hibiscus Closed Hibiscus Closed Hibiscus

Always tightly closed, in such contrast to our usual hibiscus 1992 March 16
none but did purchase a pair of cotton twill slacks at Tip Top. After dinner Judy took me to Sears where I found a pair of white slip-on shoes that would serve the purpose of the trip to the Caribbean and Panama Canal.



Saturday March 14

Following instructions (2 hours by one source or 90 minutes by another) to arrive at airport before flight time, we arrived at 5 pm, 1 hr. 45 min. before flight time - only to find that the gate opened 1 hr. 10 min. before flight. We booked in, and thanks to Judy’s prearrangement I was put in a wheelchair for the walk to the plane.

The plane took off on time. I was seated by a Gerontologist from Lethbridge on her way to San Diego to present a paper. We had a very interesting discussion on a common subject – Hospital Service.

Dinner was Pasta in red sauce with a few slices of sausage. The salad was good. The dessert was a white cake with imitation lemon filling. There was a 40-minute stop in Salt Lake City where most of the passengers got off. On the leg of
Bougainvillea Bougainvillea Bougainvillea

Profuse splashes of bright colour! 1992 March 16
the flight to L.A., we received a snack which was a decided improvement on the pasta.

At L.A. I was provided the luxury of a wheel chair - quite necessary as there was a long walk to the gate for the departure to San Juan. This leg of the flight provided us with soup that was a little better than the Pasta dinner (not by much). Bunwich was good. Sliced orange for dessert. The plane stopped for 1 hr. 30 min. at Atlanta, when I was able to get some sleep. We had a breakfast of scrambled eggs and sausage with biscuit. This was a decided improvement over the previous diet.

Landed in San Juan at 11:15 AM San Juan time 15 hr. 15 min. after entering the Calgary airport.



Sunday March 15

We were met by the Princess Cruises Rep. and bussed to our hotel, the Condado Plaza. 28 people for the Condado arrived on our flight. We checked in and made arrangements with the Princess line for transfer to the ship on March 17.

We rested for a short while and had a lunch of some hot cross buns, provided by
Top of El Morro, San Juan Top of El Morro, San Juan Top of El Morro, San Juan

Fort constructed from 1539 - 1790 and helped repel all other colonizing nations 1992 March 16
Judy, and coffee compliments of the hotel. We booked tours for Monday the16th. Rain forest in the morning, and Old San Juan in afternoon. Sat outside on the lawn looking at the Atlantic Ocean. Judy took some pictures.

Had dinner of Caesar Salad and Fettuccini Alfredo. With Orvieto wine. Went to bed early.



Monday March 16

Tour to Rain Forest started at 8:30 AM. This tour has been open only 3 months, since the widespread damage by Hurricane Hugo. Many of the big trees were broken or blown down. This action opened up the ground to sunlight and many vines started covering the trees or parts that survived. These vines will eventually kill these trees.

In the El Yunque National Forest, we made four stops: Entrance to the La Marquesa Forest Park; Coca Falls; Yokahu Observation Tower (elevation 1575’, average temp. 75, rainfall 100” – 120” annually), and the Visitors Centre (elevation 1800’, average temp. 70, rainfall 150” – 180” annually). We did not go to the Cloud Forest, also called the Dwarf Forest (elevation 3000”, average temp. 60, rainfall 200”) due to time and road conditions.

Our tour of Old San Juan
Vase in the El Morro museumVase in the El Morro museumVase in the El Morro museum

Portraying how Old San Juan houses almost tumble into the sea 1992 March 16
was in the afternoon. Greater San Juan has a population of 1,400,000 people. Island of Puerto Rico population 2,300,000 people. The island was discovered by Columbus in December 1493 on his second trip to the New World. In 1917 residents were granted US citizenship, with an appointed Governor. Since 1948 the Governor has been elected every 4 years. They also elect a representative to Congress who has a right to speak but no voting rights.

Average temperature 77 - summer 84, winter 70.

Rainy season May to December, some spots any time: North coast 80”, South coast 40”

Main Industries: Textiles, Pharmaceuticals

Our first stop was at the Bacardi distillery where we could sample their rum. With some choice of types, we purchased a 26 oz. bottle of the better rum for $10.50. We stopped then at the Old San Juan Fort – too much to see for my ability. We stopped at a jewelry shop near where the cruise ships dock. Very interesting display.

Monday evening, we received a complimentary ticket to an Island musical presentation. Well done, but loud.

View map of trip to date.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Tile mosaic on the Condado Plaza HotelTile mosaic on the Condado Plaza Hotel
Tile mosaic on the Condado Plaza Hotel

Only seen from afar 1992 March 16
Atlantic sea wall at the Condado Plaza  Atlantic sea wall at the Condado Plaza
Atlantic sea wall at the Condado Plaza

A calm day in the warm light breeze 1992 March 15
Bell flowers Bell flowers
Bell flowers

Exotic at the time, but now I know they are ubiquitous in the Caribbean. 1992 March 16
Old San Juan from El Morro Old San Juan from El Morro
Old San Juan from El Morro

Defending the coast from sea faring nations 1992 March 16


6th April 2021

Thanks
Thanks for reminding me that I still want to visit the Panama Canal. I appreciate the book recommendation too. Loved hearing you dad's observations. It was fun to revisit Cuba on your last blog. Stay well and hopefully we can all travel soon. Ginny
7th April 2021

Memory lane
Oh, that's delightful. Your father had a dry wit and knew how to execute a running joke - if I knew either of those, I had forgotten, but I don't suppose I did know. And the engineer comes through strongly too, even though you aren't in the canal yet. Thanks for sharing that. I'll be interested to see his comments and your photos as your trip progresses.
13th April 2021

My father
Dad enjoyed jokes. And he always has the engineer's perspective.
7th April 2021
Top of El Morro, San Juan

San Jose/San Juan
San Jose is not the same as San Juan. We have heard of people who thought they bought flight tickets to the former and ended up in the latter. They still had a good vacation, just a bit different from what they expected. /Ake

Tot: 0.721s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 27; qc: 140; dbt: 0.2458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb