Memories of Spain and Morocco - Alhambra, 1989 October 16


Advertisement
Spain's flag
Europe » Spain » Andalusia » Granada
October 16th 1989
Published: June 29th 2022
Edit Blog Post

View from AlhambraView from AlhambraView from Alhambra

High above a surrounding valley
My tour of the Alhambra had a rough start. A stomach upset from the shrimps I thoroughly enjoyed for lunch on my last day in Morocco kept me close to the hotel for a whole day. That or something else morphed into a terrible cold overnight, when the temperature in the hotel room was far below tropical paradise levels. Feeling cheated of a portion of my holiday, I stole a toilet roll from the bathroom and chose a seat at the back of the tour bus for the two-hour ride from Torremolinos to the Alhambra , a Medieval-Renaissance castle originally built when the area was Islamic.

Out the window, the semi-mountainous terrain was picturesque, except for those places were people on top of the hills treated the steep cliffs as garbage dumps, a strange practice in a tourist-intense area. Shutting my mind to that, I marvelled at the thick vegetation, both trees and bushes. Occasional towns were situated in the wider valleys.

At the Alhambra, we moved from the austere outer walls of a fortress through a strong, heavy gate into a beautiful palace designed for restful peace. Since Morocco, I was used to the design being on the upper part of the walls and on the ceiling. If you are sitting on the floor (on cushions and carpets), your gaze naturally rises. The beige-white walls were carved with texts from the Koran in highly stylized calligraphy or with fruits and flowers on a background of swirling shapes. Many ceilings were intricately carved like multitudes of chandeliers. Because originally Arabic countries were deserts, paradise is conceived as a lush garden, and because the use of the human figure was discouraged, the representation of gardens in art was a form of reverence. Andalusia must have seemed like heaven, since it has such a lush environment.

The extensive gardens for the palace were wonderfully serene. We naturally fell into silence. One reflecting pool made us want to stay for hours. The long pool lined with greenery and benches was perfect for contemplation. The sound of trickling water and soft fountains in the background calmed the mind and spirit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

View from AlhambraView from Alhambra
View from Alhambra

Wide expanse of gardens
Passageway in the Alhambra gardenPassageway in the Alhambra garden
Passageway in the Alhambra garden

Centuries of people passing through
Court of the LionsCourt of the Lions
Court of the Lions

Constructed by order of Muhammad V between 1362 and 1391
Generalife Generalife
Generalife

Granada Paradise Gardens
Reflecting poolReflecting pool
Reflecting pool

Place of meditation and worship
Loja Loja
Loja

Town dating from at least the 8 century


7th July 2022

Wow - love the reflecting pool. It makes me think about my backyard, which is just about the right shape. And the functioning fountain from the 1300s - amazing, even if the hidden plumbing had been updated. What a place to live.
11th July 2022

Reflecting pool at the Alhambra palace
The pool and its spiritual feel was the feature I remember the best. Quiet, focused and natural.

Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb