First day in Panama


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Panamá » Panama City
February 9th 2010
Published: February 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Balboa Yacht Club AfternoonBalboa Yacht Club AfternoonBalboa Yacht Club Afternoon

Great place for a beer on a warm sunny day.
We arrived here last night after spending about 20 minutes or so getting through immigration and customs. Then the nightmare called renting from AVIS (never again - they are second for a good reason). Luckily we also rented a GPS. After they had gone over our car with a microscope to log every tiny scratch (more waiting), we headed out in the dark to find our B&B across town. Many wrong turns and many "at the next available moment, make a legal U-turn" from our GPS later, we found our B&B. Luckily a McDonalds was across from final street, so the GPS found our way.

Now, we're sitting on the balcony with a beautiful breeze. The warm air feels wonderful. We have met many nice people with great ideas (the best was not to rent a car at the airport and try to find this place in the dark). The B&B owners are vary nice and helpful. The lady owner arranged for us to turn our car in down the hill at the old Albrook AFB - now a local airport. We will take a taxi back to the airport.

Late morning, we made a nostalgic trip (for Jim)
Guard HouseGuard HouseGuard House

Entry to our B&B in old military Quarry Heights housing - now fixed up for a B&B.
across the bridge of the Americas to old Howard AFB which is now pretty much abandoned and under demolition. They are planning to turn the place into a destination something or other. Hope it works. We did find the old Bachelor Officer's Quarters (BOQ) where Jim spent so much time when he was here as a navigator on C-130 aircraft (embassy support etc) back in his young and beautiful days. The place was abandoned but had not changed much (needs paint). The green beach (a grass area near the BOQ) was in good shape for sunning but we had to move on.

After leaving there, we went in search of (and found) the Balboa Yacht Club which was a favorite hangout back then. It has now been totally rebuilt but is still a great place to hang out for the afternoon drinking Balboa beer. Met an old navy NCO there (more good advice on great places to go). Jim thinks NCO's always know good places to have fun. He has been here several times and is staying a month this time in various places. We need to come back and visit one he recommned up in the NW corner
Howard BOQ on the hillHoward BOQ on the hillHoward BOQ on the hill

I spent many weeks here back in the 70's, 80's.
of the country. Last, we went out the Amador peninsula to the end and found a new restaurant he recommended for seafood. We are going there tonight. More later.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Green BeachGreen Beach
Green Beach

Great place for a tan while sitting alert for whatever.


10th February 2010

More!
Are you having too much fun to write or did you forget about us daydreamers! :) Sounds like it's lovely; and glad Jim got to be nostalgic for a moment. (And Karen going along as the wonderful wife she is) ;) Miss you guys and keep us updated!

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb