...as we forget the spanish we learnt


Advertisement
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hola from Panama!

Well we´re currently in Panama...not somewhere we orginally planned we would go to, but somewhere we have ended up!

Last time we left you, we were taking time out from the backpacker travels and were residing with a Tican family in Potero in Costa Rica studying spanish. Studying in playa flamingo was great fun and a good ´break´from the constant decision making needed when you´re on the road, so we were sad to say goodbye to our friends and Tican family last week, but excited to continue our travelling.

Our first stop after Flamingo was Monteverde...the cloud rainforest nearby. Just as we arrived, the weather seemed to take a turn for the worst and it didnt stop raining for about 1 week. Nevertheless, Monteverde seemed used to the fact that it rained all the time there, so we put on our rain jackets and carried on! We went to the butterfly museum and I´ve decided that I now love butterflies...they are just so amazing! We also were very lucky to see a butterfly emerging from its cocoon...amazing!

Another highlight in Monteverde was the canopy tour we did, where you go down zip wires across the forest. I had fears that it might be a bit scary, but it was really good fun... even in the rain! I also took a video of Simon on this thing called a Tarzan swing which is the funniest thing to watch!

After Monteverde, we took the jeep-boat-jeep trip cross country to Volcan Arenal and nearby Fortuna. As I mentioned, we were a bit unlucky with the weather as it rained the whole time we were there which restricted the amount of walking we could do and also meant that Volcan Arenal couldn´t be seen much through the clouds! We went to the Tabaco hot springs which was quite fun in the rain! The springs were a bit like something out of a fantasy book...hot pools of water and waterfalls in the middle of the rainforest!

Our next stop after Volcan Arenal was Heredia. A bit of a random destination given that there aren´t really any tourist attractions there, but it was good to actually get a feel for what it would be like to live a normal life in Costa Rica. We were a bit crazy and got our hair cut! We also found a casino that we spent a few hours in, but managed to come away with not losing too much money.

We then headed to San Jose. Our last stop in Costa Rica. Luckily the rain storm was coming to an end which meant we were free to wonder round. We managed to do a few museums...we now know all about Costa Rican money...and the zoo, somewhere I haven´t been for years!

That then brings us up to today. We hopped on the bus from San Jose and 15 hours later arrived here in Panama City. It´s going to be a quick tour of Panama before we head to Equador, but we wanted (well I say we, but really it was Simon) wanted to see the Panama Canal as we were 'in the area'.

I have to say that I am a bit sad to leave Costa Rica after spending a month here studying the language and meeting the people. I do hope that one day we will return.

Well, next stop Equador were we are going to meet up with Ib which will be fun! If we can persuade her there may even be a guest blog!

Hope everyone is well.

Amy xx



Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.021s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb