The Hole Truth


Advertisement
Panama's flag
Central America Caribbean » Panama » Panamá » Panama City
September 9th 2005
Published: September 9th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Ah the mind boggles...and toggles and switches, backtracks, runs like elkectricity thru a printed circuit, a million possibilities awakened in a second, slipping into tiny cracks, starbursting across the sky, boring thru a million miles of rock then stopped by a cigareete paper....whoooa, where did that perro come from??...must be a tad early,, its 6am and waiting for the airport cab.

Night before last I went back to barry's after blogging on, it was later than usual and the staff were almost relieved to see me...now thats a worry!...I think Corner Boy had been warned off nby the cops as a 44 gal drum with rocks was by the Hole...Blindy was just checking out so I missed him...he is very astute tho'...he knows when you put in a small coin and try and push it in hard...and his face lights up with the solid clunk of a quarter...the notes here are all US$ but called Bilboas, the coins are exactly the same size and value as US but have local impressions...including a nice likeness of Rocky Bilboa in a conquistadors hat, must have been before his boxing career took off.

Then off to Colon yesterday, a long story but the bikes are away. The road to Colon is unbelievably bad given its the main road across the busiest part of the country. And its lined with billboards almost continuously...so many they become meaningless...giant Barbie, 20 foot high, thrusting herself at the traffic, underwear, overwear, sexxy clothes, sunglasses, electronics, motor bits, pumps, parasols, perfumes, watches...watch out!...the road is full of terminal-sized potholes and cars and trucks swerve out or brake sudddenly to avoid them...so between the distractions of the ads, and the holes and the traffic..the road is lined with fresh and fading accidents. The top box on the bike gets shaken much more than the other boxes, on some really rough road last week I had left the Lonely planet guide in the top box, by the time we got to the baech some of the chapters had become rearranged.

Back in town last night, boys off to Cuba, I'm free, abandoned, floating, lost, liberated, amputated, no bike!...its hard to believe, big feelings of trepidation leaving her in the freight terminal warehouse bizzo, next to the dark and dingy container thats going to wash up in Hawaii in 10 years .....am I the body left without the severed limb or the amputated limb without the body?..is the bike the greater half of our partnership?..aaarrrggghhh.

So, back to Barry's, why not, its getting dark, light rain falling...its quieter than usual, not exhaust fan at the hotel next door that always gets you on the street, Rasta man is sitting out on the curb, the vego-rasta cafe is closed, Corner Boy has a new shirt and clean jeans!...at Barry's its also quiet, no Blindey, no nun, no flower boy...a new tout!..a guy with a tin can, says its 'for the ladies'...don't know if its a vibrator or viagra....and theres no thumping, crashing sounds, and all the lights are out at the Veneto...and then I spot it...the Hole has been filled...can´t believe it!!end of life as we know it!..So, one last fabulous Barry pizza...they really are the best pizza this side of Trevis...or did I say that last time?...it must be the tropics...

And the car alarms continue to go off continuously...and everyone continues to ignore them!..fantastic.

OK, back to Baz's for a fruit salad and OJ...just got an email and have a homestay set up on Isla Margarita in Venezuela!!! sounds fantastico......time to get some exercise, immerse myself in espanol, eat better, drink less, quit smoking (yeah, sure) well, cut down a bit...and see what happens.

So, my dedicated but eyesore followers, don't know where, don't know when...etc etc ...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb