“Si La Patrice es pequena, uno grande La suena.” – Ruban Dario, Poet. If one’s nation is small, one makes it larger though dreams.


Advertisement
Nicaragua's flag
Central America Caribbean » Nicaragua
December 28th 2010
Published: January 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday December 28th



“Si La Patrice es pequena, uno grande La suena.” – Ruban Dario, Poet. If one’s nation is small, one makes it larger though dreams.
Tried to rent bikes but after looking for two hours we couldn’t find the store and gave up. Only to find out on the last day it was right across the street from our hotel. But there is never a lack of fun things to do so Sasha, Shaun and some others ended up going fishing into the sunset swimming and seeing dolphins on this BringYourOwnBooze Cruise.

Wednesday December 29th



Back on the bus for a farm visit, our last group event, we are approached by an ox cart. While walking through the fields we were attacked by a pregnant bull. We had home made tomales and chicha (a corn drink), we tried thrashing black beans to separate the bean from the greens.
When we rearrived back in Grenada we went to Dona Elba’s cigar factory and learned how to “roll our own.”
Then we found the illusive “la piedra bocana,” a rock infamous for granting wishes, lets hope it works!

Thursday December

30th

We commenced the day with a full body massage at “seeing hands” by blind masseuses. Although I preferred it to the ayurvedic massages in Sri Lanka, I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to a stranger’s hand. Then to the chocolate museum; 35 chocolate chips will give you the energy to walk a mile, 875,000 chips to get you around the world. Then we tried to find the Hogar Madre Albertina – a home for homeless girls. All the girls were on vacation at another shelter so we couldn’t see them but one of the Nuns who stayed behind to take care of everything showed us around the classrooms and dormitories. Our hands were up and we were hailing a cab back to surf city. We were on our own now and stayed in the coolest place in town: Casa de Oro where we had a private room in the hostel. We stripped as soon as we got there and took a yoga class where we felt all the aches and pains we’d been trying to forget. We heard the drip drip drip of the rain drops and the wind rustling in the bamboo of the yoga hut.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Cigar makingCigar making
Cigar making

I'll just roll me my own...


Tot: 0.19s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0959s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb