Into Nicaragua - San Juan Del Sur


Advertisement
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After the most excruciating bus ride to date, we made it through the border and into Nicaragua at our first stop - San Juan del Sur. Fortunately for us there was also a Harley Davidson Convention on the same weekend and rooms were scarce. We stayed two nights, biked to town, ate some food and went on my late Valentines day present, a baby turtle tour! We were given a short intro to what we were about to experience and then put on an outside seated army truck to 4x4 an hour to the reserve that we would witness the hatchings at. The turtles usually hatch in 3 day increments and this was the second night so we were guarenteed good sightings. We were only allowed small red lights and slowly walked through the sand on the beach until someone spotted a little movement. Then the sand would wiggle and out came one little face and behind it 80 more! The 2 inch babies broke through the surface and the race was on for the ocean. We were in charge of making sure they all headed the right direction and that each was safe from harm. We cheered on the nearly 2000 babies until nearly midnight and headed home. It was amazing! A great way to end our days in the little beach town...


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Day time hatchings saved for darkDay time hatchings saved for dark
Day time hatchings saved for dark

These ones hatched in the daylight and are prone to eagles, predators, etc so they are saved by the reserve and we released them at night with the rest of the hatchlings


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb