Granada


Advertisement
Published: February 25th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Our Arrival

The minibus from Managua UCA dropped us next to the central park.




Where We Stayed

Hospedaje La Libertad - $10 for a double room with shared bathroom. Thin mattress and a bit grotty but cheap. Small kitchen, free salsa classes and an expensive bar. When we stayed it seemed to be full of long term stayers. Spanish speaking staff only.

Hostal Entre Amigos - $5 dorm or $18 double with shared bathroom. Opposite La Libertad and next to Bearded Monkey. The dorm has some double beds and non bunk beds. Clean, free drinking water, TV in courtyard and a kitchen.

Hostal La Casita - $16 for a double room with shared bathroom. Nice courtyard, kitchen.



Backyard Hostel - $16 for a double room with shared bathroom. Firm mattresses, swimming pool, kitchen and cheap bar. The place could have done with some more bathrooms

Treehouse Poste Rojo - $4 plus 15%!t(MISSING)ax for a hammock. Bring a jumper and a book. You can see monkeys right near the bar. As you might expect food and drinks are expensive and tax is added on after as well. There is a free shuttle from Bearded Monkey at 12:30pm to the hostel. To get back flag a bus down on the road which will drop you off behind the market in Granada.




What We Did

Walk to the churches, fort and railway station around town admiring the colourful houses. You could also get a horse and cart to take you around.

Visit the Centro Turistico - C$5 entry. Has some benches and kids play areas. Not worth a visit although has cheap litre beers. The place to go if you want to do a boat trip to the islands.




Where We Ate

The four stalls in the central park corners sell vigaron for a couple of dollars, one stall has a menu.

In the park a woman sells meat, plaintain crisps and salad for C$50 and another sold fried rice for C$30.

Reillys Irish Bar shows sports streamed from the internet and is C$20 for a small bottle of Bravia. O'Shea's Irish Bar on the main strip has litre bottles of Victoria for C$45. **** We have just returned to Granada and the promotion on Victoria at O´Shea´s has finished. It is now C$47 for a litre. There is a promotion on litre bottles at the restaurant next door to O´Sheas. ****

There is a Pali supermarket near the market.

If you are staying for a few days it may be worth getting a large bottle of water. There is a shop opposite Bearded Monkey Hostal (in between the internet cafes) which sells 18.5 litre bottles. You pay a deposit which you get back when you return the container. The water itself costs C$50 for 18.5 litres which we drank between the 2 of us in about 4 days.


Where We Went Next

We got the ferry twice, once to Isla De Ometepe and once to San Carlos (C$219). The ferry leaves at 2pm on Monday and 5pm on Thursday (not 2pm as people will tell you). Buy your ticket in advance to avoid the rush. Bring your passport and foreigners must buy first class. Arrive an hour early or boarding and bag searches. Any alcohol will be taken off you but returned when you get off the boat. You can rent deck chairs for C$30 or sit inside on the padded benches with the TV and aircon. Food is served downstairs. Make sure you watch the sunset and bring a jumper if doing the overnight trip either inside or outside.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0527s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb