The market


Advertisement
Published: August 10th 2006
Edit Blog Post

In the morning we caught a bus out to Masaya, a town not far from Granada. They have a couple of marketplaces there. The first one we went to is the "new" market, which is the one that all of the locals go to. It has rows and rows of small stalls with vendors selling just about anything imaginable, including stuffed frogs in compromising poses. The parts of the market selling food were the most interesting, with people selling meat that was sitting out in the sun with flies on it, piles of fresh fruit and people serving up food from huge bubbling pots. Part of the market there sells handicrafts and we bought a painting and a couple of masks - since the end of our trip was nearing, we thought it would be a good time to pick up a couple of souvenirs.

After visiting the new market, we checked out the old market, which was inside the wall of what appeared to be an old fort. This was a much more touristy version of the artisans market in the new market. We caught a bus back to Granada when we were done.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb