Day 8 - The Final Day


Advertisement
Published: August 9th 2010
Edit Blog Post

DT GangDT GangDT Gang

Heading to Grenada Islands

Day 8 - The Final Day



Day 8 started with packing up for a sad departure from San Juan Del Sur. We all got packed up and reluctantly dragged our luggage downstairs and waited for our driver. We were actually ready about 20 minutes early. That doesn’t happen when you have men and kids along. We were off to Grenada for the day. Grenada was a 90 minute drive from SJDS. We took a 1 hour boat ride to the 360 plus Grenada islands that were formed by the volcanoes. These were small islands the size of a large plot of land with many of them occupied by beautiful houses. There was an island for sale for $350K, which actually seems reasonable but after we pooled the cash in our pockets we decided we were about $349.99K short and would have to wait. One of the islands was inhabited by monkeys so we feed them some bananas and they took them and ran.

The rest of the morning we spent touring the colorful colonial town of Grenada. It is filled with beautiful churches and old buildings. We did visit a museum with a mock Indian hut. There was a window in the back of the hut, so Kirsten, Chester and Maija waited for the others and as they approached the hut, they popped their heads into the window and broke out in song. They were inspired by the Von Trapp family and sang “Coo Coo. . . Coo Coo”. This was about the most exciting thing that happened to us today.

We did head out of town to the Masaya Volcano, an active volcano to see and smell the sulfur clouds. The day was quite warm but the rain held off until we got to Managua. We sneaked in a few extra people into the rooms we had reserved. We plan to have an early dinner tonight as we have to be up for a 7 AM flight back to the US tomorrow.

As we end our 11th annual Dirty Thirty adventure and enter our fabulous 40’s, we cherish the memories we have made or at least the laughs and look forward to the next decade of adventures (especially since Amy has a passport now). We have to get her another passport stamp before it expires in 10 years. We feel we have come and conquered Nicaragua
Surprise FlowerSurprise FlowerSurprise Flower

it starts out like a banana
and await the next country to invade. Hopefully with less volcanoes to climb. We now have calves of steel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Nice "Little" PadNice "Little" Pad
Nice "Little" Pad

On a private island
GrenadaGrenada
Grenada

Colorful town
More StairsMore Stairs
More Stairs

Our calves are never going to quit burning


9th August 2010

The TRIP
Love the pics! Looks like so much fun!

Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0818s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb