Cathedrals, Volcanoes and panic attacks in Nicaragua


Advertisement
Published: August 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We started our adventure in the amazing city of Leon. Think beautiful old churches, building and parks. Our hostel turned out to be run by a young Australian guy who had renovated an old building into a fantastic hostel. He also run a local adventure tour business which took us gringoes out to Cerro Negro, the newest discovered volcano in Central America which frequently erupts. Not only did we climb it but we boareded down it...think riding down an volcano at a 45 degree angle on a skateboard and you get the idea of what crazy us folk were doing! Most of you would know that your's truely is pertrified of heights, so this wasn't the greatest idea I ever had. I thought I could do it, but I ended up being the person who halfway down the clung herself to the side of the volcano and refused to move....I then spent the next 45 minutes painfully sliding down the molton ash on my bum...

Next stop was Granada, a beautiful old colonial town full of amazing buildings, cathedrals and street lined cafes. From Granada was caught a ferry (more like tug boat really..) across to Isle de Ometepe, an island dominated by two volcanoes joined at the ismuthus in the middle. The sunset was well worth the trip across (and the sunburn) but again we were running out of time and if we were ever going to see any of Costa Rica we had to get a move on.

Next stop was San Juan Del Sur on the Pacific Coast. Sadly just the day before there had been a devastating earthquate in Peru and unknown to us the Nicaraguan coast had been put on a high alert for Tsunami's....we decided to brave it and stay and fortunately we were okay. We spent the next few glorious days lazing on the beach, wondering the promenade and enjoying the very cheap (and large) cocktails!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.136s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb