Nicaragua: A tale of pirates and the best steak I've ever had...


Advertisement
Published: February 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a week of lazing around Playa Remanso we headed out on a road trip, first stop Granada. Beautiful colonial town, the architecture was amazing and enhanced by a variety of cool colours. Piled into town and set up shop at the Hotel Alhambra, right across from the main square, before settling down to some lunch and mondo burgers...

No real plans here, mostly just poking around town and checking out the sites. Again the buildings were beautiful, went through some really cool churches and the local fort. The history of the city is also quite fascinating; it had been sacked many times in the late 1600's, by none other than the pirate Henry Morgan (I believe it happened three times in five years, that must have been a drag!). The food was also great; we hit a wicked place called El Zaguan on a street behind the main cathedral, deemed to be the best joint in town...meal was fantastic; started with kick-ass ceviche and we all had steaks, one of the best I've ever had! Drank what seemed like a couple of gallons of wine and had a ton of fun, the staff were really good to us. We then of course were pretty wound up so headed to a dance/live music venue to finish up the evening, and ourselves...haha...

Could have done a little more research and looked into some tours or something but frankly I really just enjoyed hitting the markets, antique shops and soaking up the local vibe, great time!

(Some photos copyright of Kim S., denoted by (KS)...used with kind permission)


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Fuzz...Fuzz...
Fuzz...

His fellow officers were killing themselves laughing just out of frame when I shot this...haha...
Horses and CarriagesHorses and Carriages
Horses and Carriages

...lined up along the main square...
Main Cathedral IIMain Cathedral II
Main Cathedral II

Colours were amazing...
DC Moto...DC Moto...
DC Moto...

Saw some crazy bikes in Nicaragua, and a bunch of names I'd never heard of...think this was a 250cc...
Church IIChurch II
Church II

Another amazing church in Granada, there was a wedding going on as well...
Hotel AlhambraHotel Alhambra
Hotel Alhambra

Great spot overlooking the main square...
Market IMarket I
Market I

Checking out the bargains... (KS)
Market IIMarket II
Market II

Hanging out in the craziness... (KS)
Typical street in Granada...Typical street in Granada...
Typical street in Granada...

...again, gotta love the colours...
View from a Bell Tower IView from a Bell Tower I
View from a Bell Tower I

Main square and cathedral in the distance...
Machine of LoveMachine of Love
Machine of Love

No idea...haha... (KS)


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb