From Leon to Comayagua, Honduras


Advertisement
Published: March 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Leon Cathedral, NicaraguaLeon Cathedral, NicaraguaLeon Cathedral, Nicaragua

The biggest Cathedral in Central America, in this small town.
After a tiring 7 hour journey from Granada, we arrived in the town of Leon. We really slummed it in a very very very basic hostel, 75 cents per night!!! Leon looked a bit more authentic than Granada at first impression, and is home to the largest Cathedral in Central America, which from the outside looks very decayed, and on the inside, beautiful.

We purchased a football, and decided to play keep ups in the busy main square where the Cathedral is located. There are many people here, who looked on in delight as we played around, and lots of kids all joined in. It was Carnaval here too, so there was a bit of a party atmosphere in the air. We went out for a meal that evening, and then took in some of the Carnaval for the rest of the night.

On the whole, the last week was spent travelling across these towns in Nicaragua. Maybe I was feeling a little tired, but I didn't really find anything in Nicaragua, the places we had been to, that really gave me that 'Wow' factor. There are many tourists travelling here, which I think is good for the country,
Border crossing to HondurasBorder crossing to HondurasBorder crossing to Honduras

Some kids provide entertainment whilst waiting to cross the border!
but on the whole, I was a bit dis-appointed.

We left the hostel at 5am, Saturday 11th March, and took a private mini bus for another gruelling journey to Comayagua, and now Honduras, crossing the border in the day. A nice modern air conditioned hotel here, which was nice in the heat and after long travel days. The town seemed very Westernised, many fast food chains dotted along the highways, including a 'Wendys', something I've never been to before. As it was Saturday night, we decided to have a look around town. We went to a bar owned by an American, and met some Americans who were in the forces, and based here ( there is an American base here, so there are many squaddies in this town ). One bloke had spent eight years in Swindon ( town in England )! We went to a nightclub and had a pretty good night.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0571s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb