Whatever doesn´t kill you...


Advertisement
Published: February 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

...only makes you stronger.

From my very short time here in Nicaragua this is the impression that I take from its people. Having stuck pretty close the cities and the gringo trail, I can´t fully appreciate the issues and the struggles that this country faces, and while many do struggle they haven´t lost their will to fight nor their pride.

Walking through the city of León you can see the very best and worst of Nicaragua. "This is where Somoza (ruthless dictator) was killed....this is the house of Ruben Dario (famous poet) ...here is where 4 students were shot while protesting...this is the jail where countless sandistas (socialist resistance of the time) were tortured.

I´ve found the people here to be both proud and kind. It´s the only country where I´ve seen local people wearing touristic t-shirts with a big "Nicaragua" on the front. I´ve also had people helping me out and pointing me in the right direction at any possibility, which always great, and often necessary.

Some other highlights for me were:

Riding a moto around Isla de Ometepe, nearly crashing over those damn sand hills getting lost and trying find my way back to the owners house through rough terrain and a dodgy candle strength headlight, dodging shapeless bodies and cattle in the dark. Needed a nice big bottle of toña (local brew) after that kind of drama.

Seeing some quite decent live music for change. A great 4-piece band playing all the latin faves and even covering Tracy Chapman. who´d of thunk it?

Taking one last dip in the Pacific and chilling out completly. Won´t be seeing that Ocean till I get home.

At this stage I´m migrating north, so until I´ve got something worth writing "Hasta luego"

Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0176s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb