Last stop and conclusion


Advertisement
Published: April 9th 2020
Edit Blog Post

This was my last stop in Nicaragua, before heading back to Managua. Because of COVID-19 pandemic, I cut 3 days from the vacation.

.....

Leon is a colonial city and ancient rival to Granada. The city is far less touristy than Granada, but still have many accommodations and things to do around.

Old downtown center is compact and easy to navigate.

We stayed in hotel Flor de Sarta, about 4 blocks North of central park. This si close enough to get to center in 10 minutes, but quiet enough to sleep well.

The staff is super friendly ans breakfast is very good and varied. A small pool and patio allows to relax in the afternoon.

...

In Leon, the highlight is of course the big white cathedral, which is white in and out. The building is impressive and beautiful.

For a few dollars, you can go on the top. This is recommended as the views of the city and distant volcanoes makes it worth while.

We stayed a few days and would come back.



Conclusion:

a-Nicaragua is not Costa Rica. In Central America, nothing beats Costa Rica for the nature, the very well maintained national parks, and the abundance of animals. Even with some beautiful spots like Ometepe and a few others, it's not an ecotourist destination,

b-Because it's far less developed, some will prefer it, because it doesn't cost that much to let's say, go with a 4X4 on an undeveloped beach and camp there. This is true for non-tourist spots, because elsewhere, hotels are as expensive as Costa Rica, and with far less options, so quality is not always that great.

c-Nicaragua, the West part of it at least, is very panoramic with all its lakes and volcanoes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement










Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb