how to build an above ground garden, nica style


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

i play! er, sift! dirti play! er, sift! dirti play! er, sift! dirt

after we dug it and hauled it to the ¨table¨
Here is a step by step guide to creating an above ground garden, specifically in Nicaragua.

There are three primary reasons why raised gardens are preferable here.

One is specific to my community, which is located on top of a mountain and there are a lot of rocks. As in, a lot of the mountain is stone, some houses are built directly on top of rock, and there is little dirt to plant in around some houses for family gardens.

Reason two is that most everyone has chickens and they all roam free. They like to eat seeds and seedlings. But if the garden is in the air and protected, it deters the chickens. Also, it is harder for leaf cutter ants to reach the seedlings and vegetables.

The third reason is that everyone plants during the 6 month rainy season. In a matter of minutes there can be flash floods and rivers of mud. An above ground garden not only is immune to rivers of rain that could wash away all of your seeds or vegetables, but they drain fairly well, too.

In order to build said garden…. check out the photo essay and follow these simple steps.

1. Dig post holes using a huge steel bar to dig and your hands to remove the earth.
2. Cut posts. This usually involves climbing trees, barefoot, with a machete to cut down branches. Make sure your branches have a good Y or crotch.
3. Place posts, making sure the Y is facing the “right” way.
4. Cut branches to make the “table”, placing them in the Y’s of the posts. Use twine or wire to connect the branches, or nails and a hammer.
5. For added support, put old chicken wire or whatever is available on the “table”.
6. Place sackos, 100 lb canvas sacks, down to finish the table.
7. Find dirt. Dig. Haul. Fill table with dirt.
8. Clear out rocks and weeds and add as many earthworms as you can find.
9. Add horse or cow crap for nutrients. Mix in ashes to disinfect the dirt.
10. Plant seeds! Making a map of your garden is a good idea. Covering lightly with some kind of mulch or grass for added protection is also recommended.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

look at that facelook at that face
look at that face

lenin works with the dirt outside of my room on the garden
we sembrarwe sembrar
we sembrar

planting seeds
all of this in a tiny plotall of this in a tiny plot
all of this in a tiny plot

3 kinds of onion, green beans, peas, 2 kinds of radishes, beets, carrots, chilis, dill, basil, cilantro, chives
mulchmulch
mulch

aka hay


2nd July 2009

Terrific Job!
Very very nice, Molly. Our printer is definitely substandard; however, I've printed a couple of copies to share. I plan to take one to the Post Office tomorrow with me when I go to work. Think I might just send Granddad a copy, too, since he doesn't have access to your blog online. THANK YOU!! xo

Tot: 0.29s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 62; dbt: 0.1788s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb