Los Campesinos de la Neblina


Advertisement
Published: March 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The Groves of HobbitonThe Groves of HobbitonThe Groves of Hobbiton

The main house of the finca and the hills beyond

Miraflor



The first of two organic farms we planned to WWOOF for, Finca Neblina del Bosque, was twelve-hectares on the edge of Miraflor Nature Reserve, 30km from Estelí.



Only a year old, the farm´s fruit trees are just knee-high, they had only one chicken (with chicks), one pregnant pig, two horses, and a sweet collie named Fiona.



It´s run by an interesting couple - Isabel is German and her husband Edwardo is Nica - who started the farm after selling some land on Isla de Ometepe.



We volunteered doing mostly repair and maintenance work, while indulging in the serene setting, and studying Spanish with a sweet tutor named Marta.



They fed us basic meals, lots of potatoes and gallo pinto (rice n beans), and housed us in their bamboo eco-cabañas powered by solar panels (the source for almost all electricity in Miraflor).



We had our ups and downs for the week, but overall it was a very positive experience.



Both of us felt our language skills improve, as much from the work being communicated exclusively in Spanish as from the three days
Riding WaterRiding WaterRiding Water

The bike that draws water from the 15 meter well is a simple but effective design & only takes 45 minutes of steady pedaling to fill a drum at least the size of two jacuzzis.
with Marta.



The showers were freezing, we had no water in our cabaña, meals were a touch small without fruit or tortillas, we had little information about the area, there were no cold drinks, and cold nights; also, wonderfully, it was muy tranquilo, there was an enormous starry sky for endless gazing, magical foggy mornings, a waterfall (kind of), plenty of exercise, we were awoken in the night by animals rather than cars, they had a sweet dog who kept us safe, sweet corn tea, and big smiles from everyone.



We did it, we WWOOFed in Central America - it was different than anywhere else and perhaps outside our expectations in some ways, but isn´t all experience like that?











Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

La NeblinaLa Neblina
La Neblina

The fog made for some magical mornings
You´d think they were statues...You´d think they were statues...
You´d think they were statues...

...except for the way their eyes follow you.
The Finca From AfarThe Finca From Afar
The Finca From Afar

Looking up the road toward the farm, grazing fields, and future crop lands on the right. The main cabaña (on the right) and the three eco-cabañas - ours was all the way to the left with the best view.
No BullNo Bull
No Bull

Not sure the string of barbed wire looks as tough as he does...
Cowboy, emphasis on  BoyCowboy, emphasis on  Boy
Cowboy, emphasis on Boy

This kid couldn´t have been older than 12, but the spurs on his rubber boots showed his toughness.
Bundled in BambooBundled in Bamboo
Bundled in Bamboo

In our bamboo cabaña on a chilly mountain night
Rubber Agua ManRubber Agua Man
Rubber Agua Man

Just relaxing in a local cascada
Orchids?Orchids?
Orchids?

We were sent to an orchid farm and all we found were coffee plants and these strange gates restricting cows, livestock, and apparently, those over 200 pounds.
Master PainterMaster Painter
Master Painter

After two days of painting and re-painting the lettering I definitely have it memorized. And don´t want to see it again.
JefesJefes
Jefes

Honore, Edwardo & Oskar after a good week´s work


16th March 2008

Yes!
Once again, I have browsed through the narratives and photos and loved, loved all of what you have been offering us. No, it is not the same as speaking, but seeing pictures of your trek and reading your shared words has been so wonderful for this home traveler. I hope you are having a grand time on Isla de Omatepe (?) I probably spelled it wrong. Oh well, I miss you and love seeing you both in photos. Mama.

Tot: 0.108s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 17; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb