La Joya #1 --- Medical


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras
August 11th 2007
Published: August 18th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Trip to La Joya

Green piont is "home" in Copan. Yellow point is Tegucigalpa, the capital city (we stayed a couple nights at a church there). Red point is the beautiful La Joya! It's about 5-6 hours to Tegucigalpa from Copan, and then another 2 or 3 to La Joya from there.

The past two weeks have been some of the most wonderful of my time in Honduras so far! I would repeat them all in a heart beat! It's one of those experiences where I'm bursting to share the stories and the pictures, but at the same time I know there's no way to fully communicate the absolute AMAZINGNESS of it all (for lack of a better way to describe it).

To begin with, a mission team of about 28 came down from Vermont to do medical and construction work in La Joya, a tiny spot with a clinic a few families, located in the heart of Honduras. La Joya is translated “The Jewel” and I couldn’t think of a better name for perhaps the most beautiful place I have ever been to!

The medical staff on the team partnered with Honduran “medicos” (doctors and nurses), and worked from the clinic in La Joya as well as making trips into remote mountain villages. Hundreds of patients came most days, some walking 3 or 4 hours! For our last two days of medical work I was able to help translate for one of the nurses from the States. I was really surprised of how much I was able to understand, translate, and communicate between the two languages. It was pretty inspiring, but a bit mentally exhausting.

Translating for the nurse also gave me another perspective of the work being done. I was able to talk with the patients face-to-face, hear/see their problems, as well as get to “play medic” for a day. Some of the people that came to the clinic had various cold-type symptoms; others had skin diseases, pinched-nerves, or an array of various problems. A lot of it was typical “go-to-the-doctor” type stuff. In the mountain village though, it was a different story. Many were mal-nourished, not drinking sufficient water (although most don’t even have clean water available), and health problems that had persisted for months, or years, without being properly treated. There were mothers and grandmothers with 4 or 5 little ones huddled around them.

The people, in general, were very reserved, polite, and gracious. (I did get to experience one lady at the main clinic that was determined not to leave until she had a sample of every single pill in the place! Every time we said she could go she came up with a different ache or pain!) But it really was a heart-teaching experience to be able to work with these people. Several of the team members from the US commented on how well-behaved and quite the children were, and how the people appreciatively waited their turns. It’s true. I’ve found that most of those in the mountain villages are very sweet and respectful people.

One of the greatest aspects of the medical part of the mission trip was having the Honduran and American doctors and nurses working together. At the end, many people shared that this was a highlight of the trip for them, seeing the love the Hondurans had for their own people, and also the Christ-like love from those from the States. It was a wonderful, united act of service.


Advertisement



16th December 2007

La Joya clinic
I found your blog interesting, as I will be going to Honduras in two weeks, to work in the La Joya clinic also! (I am with the VT medical group that is coming to work in the clinic again!)
16th December 2007

That's great! I can't wait to meet you and spend the time in La Joya! Blessings as you prepare!

Tot: 0.183s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1133s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb