Honduras


Advertisement
Published: August 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Volcano Tour
Day 3: July 27, 2009
Copan Honduras

We left early in the morning from Guatemala for Honduras. Originally we were to spend 5 days in Honduras, but due to the political problems, we were advised not to go to Honduras at all. Our tour leader heard that it was still OK to go to Copan, which is only 1/2 hour into Honduras from the Guatemala border. (I'll write more about the Honduras situation in my Nicaragua entry)

The border was really nothing. I was thinking that I would see a lot of soldiers on the Honduras side, but there were surprisingly few. I have been told this is not the case on the Honduras - Nicaragua border, which we will pass in a week or so...

Copan is home to Mayan Ruins. While not as spectacular as Tikal or even Chichen Itza, these ruins are still very cool. They have the most intricate carvings of all the Mayan sites, and it also holds the largest of the ball courts. (This is a game in which one member of the winning team, yes winning is to be sacrificed and killed). It was very hot and humid walking around the ruins in the middle of the day, so upon returning to the small town outside of the ruins, we immediately hit the bar and soaked up some suds.

I should also mention that every shop has an armed guard outside of it. Banks and other important places have 3 or 4!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Copan RuinasCopan Ruinas
Copan Ruinas

The little town outside of the ruins


Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 25; qc: 113; dbt: 0.1117s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb