How we copan now?


Advertisement
Published: March 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Honduras and the Copan ruins



We only really made a quick trip into Honduras (we were not really sure what we were up to at this point) all we knew is that we had three weeks left in Central America, and Karen was still holding on to the fading idea of getting to Nicaragua...fading fast...
Travelling is just one set of huge descisions about where to go next (oh what a life!!!). So we popped accross the border to Copan, (actually not just popped: a bus, another bus, onto a smaller bus, then an even smaller smaller bus. you get the picture, with a dutch couple and a german guy. (no rain) hurrah!!!However lots of men in cowboy hats, wrangler jeans and cowboy boots. Welcome to the Central American Cowboy Look Yeh Haa. Old men young boys everyones doing it.
So arriving in Copan we found a good double room in Iguana Azul and went to eat baledeas, the local snack which isi like a pancake with scambled egg, beans, hot sauce,cream, guacamole, sausage if your a meat eater. Ohhh fresh these are delicios, messy as Marcel's trousers can vouch for and truelly delicious.
Copan is another colonial town, cobbled streets pastel coloured buildings. But the difference is they serve a great cup of coffee everywhere with sweet bread there are people standing around eating and drinking and chatting on street corners, (corn on the cobs (with alot of butter) bbq meat etc..
So we spent a day chilling, visiting the local slightly wierd museum : skulls with jade teeth jewellery, hyroglyphs deciphered, and angry flint weapons alongside a little man with glasses from 600AD he looked like he was wearing funky space spectaclesa. So we sat in teh square drinking coffe and letting our clothes dry out. Next day to the Ruinas.
Yeah, it was OK. The problem was we had been a bit spoilt with Tikal and Palenque. The difference with Copan is there is lots of fine carvings and hyroglyphs, yet no huge structures. We had a good day walking around ruins and then went on a nature trail where we saw loads of birds and (what are they called) like a mix between a pig/rat/dear. And parrots and stuff....you can imagine. the walk was tiring so we went back to the hotel and as we fell gently asleep to the sound of automatic gun
Carving are pretty intricate Carving are pretty intricate Carving are pretty intricate

But if you have been to tikal and palenque you might want to spend time somewhere else.
fire. Hmm
From Copan to Teguciagalpa (the capital city of HOnduras) a mad mix of markets with a slight edgy atmosphere (we really like it) especially at 8.30 pm in the pitch black at night when the street are totally empty and we are out looking for an ATM (stupidos). With people in shadows looking at us and Taxis not stopping. MMmm
So we made a mad descision to catch a 15hr bus to Nicaragua (what a good descision)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb