Landed in Tegucigalpa


Advertisement
Published: April 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Palms for Palm Sunday, TegucigalpaPalms for Palm Sunday, TegucigalpaPalms for Palm Sunday, Tegucigalpa

Outside of every church in the capital are vendors selling palm bunches - we´ve arrived right as Semana Santa (Holy Week) is beginning.
Well, we made it through our three flights and lots of trying to snooze in various airports. We thought the hard part was over when we could actually see Tegucigalpa out the window of the airplane. Then we started our final approach, which consisted of a VERY steep 180º turn. From our window, all we could see was sky, but the view from out the other side was of the ground - close enough to read the billboards! After that, the plane basically dropped to the ground, and the pilot slammed on the breaks. You know everyone's been feeling a bit nervous when the pilot gets a full round of applause when we stop!

Customs cleared, bags found, we started out on our first taxi ride and learned our first lesson about Honduran road rules - there are none. No clear lanes, endless honking, very few signs or street names, all complicated by people selling snacks in the middle of the road and pedestrians everywhere. The 6km ride felt like much longer... but at the end we discovered that we did have a reservation at our hotel after all (we weren't sure about whether we had managed to get
Flowers everywhere...Flowers everywhere...Flowers everywhere...

this one was in the town square in Valle de Angeles
the details across in Spanish when we called from home last week).

Since then we've explored downtown Tegus and managed to order three good meals, with no surprises when the food came. Today we took a day trip to the Valle de Angeles, a little town with lots of craft shops and little restaurants - I made a friend in a local cat by sharing most of the fish in my fish ceviche, although the waitress wasn't too pleased with either of us. And Berm is well on the way to sampling the national beers of Honduras...

Tomorrow we are going to try to make it to the Parque de la Tigra for the day, which will be our first forest experience on the trip...hopefully we can report on that and other adventures in a few days.

No photos today, but hopefully we'll be able to figure out that technology for the next update. We hope all is well with everyone!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb