We're not in Guatemala now


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Central » Comayagua
October 15th 2015
Published: October 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Guatemala to ruinas de copan, Honduras

We woke earlier than usual this morning, 5.15 and rode out around 7. The roads were quite busy with a lot of trucks.

I'm still astounded at the attention the bikes (and us I suppose) receive as we drive through villages. Some of the cars and trucks honk at us and give us the thumbs up.

This morning showcased a mountainous area with one mountain puffing smoke from its crater, very impressive.

As we rode on we hit a patch of diesel or oil on the road, it was quite substantial and I thought we were going down. The bike wheels slipped about (probably just for a split second) before Trev powered us out of the situation. One of our group was not so lucky and went down, he and his bike spinning on the road. Thankfully he was fine with just some minor superficial abrasions and a few tears in the clothing. His bike faired well too with just a couple of scrapes and scratches.

We continued on along the very bumpy roads and had a break at a service station where we decided to get the heck out of Guatemala. So the consensus was to cross into Honduras later in the day which suited everyone.

We rode along the very busy roads until we reached the Honduras border at 5.15 pm. The border crossing was uneventful and we were processed promptly and painlessly (possibly due to the fact that they wanted to get away to watch the Mexico v Honduras football game!).

It was only about 8k to our accommodation for the night which was beautiful and we enjoyed dinner, drinks and a pleasant evening.

Ruinas de copan, Honduras to comayagua, Honduras

We caught tuk tuks to the Mayan ruins this morning which were great. When we arrived we saw mcCaws in the trees; there's quite a few here. The unique thing about these particular ruins is the hieroglyphics stairway naming all the kings from top to bottom. The hieroglyphs were clear to read. There were also tunnels beneath us where a whole other city has been discovered.

Once finished here we left our hotel and rode toward Comayagua, it was a bit wet today although not too heavy for long. The rains filled the natural gutters with brown clay coloured water and swelled the rivers we passed.

I often see school children walking to and from school in white shirts not dissimilar to the ones our kids seniors wore. I can't help but wonder how they keep them stark white! I had enough trouble with all the resources I had.

We traveled through some major roadworks today overtaking (and undertaking) many trucks along the way. When we reached villages the towns people all stare or whistle and honk at us; we must be quite the attraction!

Spent the night in Comayagua prior to our border crossing in the morning.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement






15th October 2015
I've replaced the gun with this machete!

That Knife
A dangerous woman to know !!

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0731s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb