Month of March - El Centro


Advertisement
Published: April 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ballet ClassBallet ClassBallet Class

Leah and I teach ballet/movement classes to the kids each week.
Things have been good at the centre where we volunteer. We haven't quite been getting the 90 students that signed up for the classes in the beginning, but the kids that have been coming, seem to be enjoying it.

These kids are really lovable.

Each week we rotate the groups between the 3 of us teachers. This way we all get to teach every group. The kids just love us. They are always running up to us for hugs, and constantly want to hold our hands or sit in our laps. They love the attention they get from us.

Recently Mom collected a lot of donations from people that she works with or knows back in Canada. When my parents came down about a month ago, there also came a full suitcase of clothing, and art supplies for these children.

Giving out the clothing to these children was something else. They were so excited to try things on to see if they fit. When I asked them if they liked it, they would smile and nod their head. They were happy when I said it was for them to keep. I then also had a crowd
More BalletMore BalletMore Ballet

Alisa working hard in the back row ;)
of more children, standing at the door, hoping that they too would be chosen for some clothes.

One little girl was so excited that she just wore her new spakly Old Navy shirt over the one she had already been wearing. One of the t-shirts was a little bigger and for a boy so one of the teachers (named Jimmy) tried that on. He was so excited for his new shirt as well. Another older girl got a yellow cartigan and wore it right away. Even during her folkloric dance practice in the afternoon, she tied her new sweater around her waist.

We've also been using a lot of the craft supplies that we recieved. We've been teaching the kids colours, numbers, and a few animals as well. The most fun I had was with these foam popsicle sticks that are coloured. I scattered them all in a field and then the kids had to run and find/collect them when I called out that colour. The kids had a riot running around the field searching for coloured sticks.

I'm really enjoying my teaching at the Centre. I feel like the kids really appreciate it as well. Alisa
Main BuildingMain BuildingMain Building

Walter took my camera around for a virtual photo tour of the centre.
and I ran into a few of the children on the street yesterday and they just ran up to us and gave us big hugs... even the boys.

It will be interesting to see how much more we can teach them in the 3 months that we have left.

Thank you SO much to all the people who donnated to these children. Your kidness has gone a long way for these children.




Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

PedroPedro
Pedro

In the office
In the Main BuildingIn the Main Building
In the Main Building

Office is the purple door. Computer lab is the yellow door. Mary is peaking down from the library.
Upstairs Upstairs
Upstairs

Outside the "library" room
The LibraryThe Library
The Library

This room is usually used for kids who need extra tutoring in subkects like math.
The KitchenThe Kitchen
The Kitchen

They make all the lunches for the kids in mass, in this outdoor kitchen.
Arts and Crafts RoomArts and Crafts Room
Arts and Crafts Room

They make all the lunches for the kids in mass, in this outdoor kitchen.
SalonSalon
Salon

Here they teach the older kids how to do things that you would in a salon... preparing them for work in one of the MANY beauty salons in town, or in case they want to open one of their own.
ClassroomClassroom
Classroom

Enjoying some lunch.
Play AreaPlay Area
Play Area

There's a room that's actually set up like a little play village for kids to play at.
Back to BalletBack to Ballet
Back to Ballet

Fancy walks across the floor.
Loving BalletLoving Ballet
Loving Ballet

Alisa gets REALLY excited for ballet class.
Computer ClassComputer Class
Computer Class

This shows half of the "lab". Walter with one of his classes.
Another WeekendAnother Weekend
Another Weekend

This was another weekend at the Centre. We used markers, crayons, etc. that Mom brought to Honduras, to teachthem their colours in English.
ByronsByrons
Byrons

Both these boys are named Byron. Such cute boys.
Jimmy and WalterJimmy and Walter
Jimmy and Walter

Jimmy teaches folkloric dance to the kids. Here he is wearing his new t-shirt that was amongst the donations Mom brought from Canada.
Clothing DonatedClothing Donated
Clothing Donated

My precious little Heidy on the right and her sister on the left. They're showing off some of the clothes that they recieved.
SO CUTE!SO CUTE!
SO CUTE!

The little girl on the right just couldn't wait to put on her new shirt. She put it right over top of the shirt she already had on!
Yet Another WeekendYet Another Weekend
Yet Another Weekend

The kids were lined up, on the wall, waiting for me to yell out which colour they should run and search for in the field!
The TwinsThe Twins
The Twins

Salma and Samai show me that they found "orange"!
Another Group on the WallAnother Group on the Wall
Another Group on the Wall

Playing the same game with a different group of smiling students :)
Searching for ColoursSearching for Colours
Searching for Colours

They LOVED this activity!
In the OfficeIn the Office
In the Office

Me and the girls.


8th April 2007

Good for you
Oh Sarah, the pictures are great. Glad you found something you really enjoy here.
9th April 2007

Those kids are so adorable and sooo lucky to have you for a teacher. Glad you are really enjoying your time volunteering there.
14th April 2007

Wow, I feel like i am way out of the loop and I am. I just read about 6 blogs, Life has been crazy lately. I am so glad to hear you and your family had a great time together, the pictures are amazing. It is April and cold and I wish I was there!!! How long are you there for exactly?? When do you return?? I am going to send you an e-mail to chat more, but I love your blogs and love hearing that you are livin life to the fullest and enjoying every moment!!! Miss chatting with you.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb